Home Technical Talk

Vanishing UVs in Maya 2018 UV Editor

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
brettmarshalltucker polycounter lvl 2
Hey, guys!

I finally got to the stage of UV unwrapping in my current project. First project on this new PC and also the first in Maya 2018. I've always found Maya's UV tools to be a bit convoluted and frustrating, so, par for the course here.

I'm experiencing a bug where the UVs of multiple objects, in the same UV map, disappear dependent on how far zoomed in the editor is. This zoom bug only effects certain objects at certain times but some will always disappear when zooming in or even when panning around (it's kind of hard to dictate so please reference the .gif inluded below). This does not happen when objects are combined into one mesh. In this case, all UVs display normally. The UVs and faces, edges and vertices of the object affected by the bug will flash in the UV Editor when I hover the mouse over them in the 3D viewport, though the UV itself is not visible. This bug happens in both Maya LT and Maya 2018.

Because of this, I assume that the issue is based on some kind of error when grouping the UVs of separated objects together into one map, even though there is, in fact, only one map. I have found no information in other forums or through Autodesk's resources to help remedy this issue. The fact that it happens in both versions of their software has me worried that my GPU is causing the issue but it seems more likely that there is a problem with my file.

Things I have tried:
-moving files from Maya LT to Maya 2018 through both OBJ and FBX export
-making new files from OBJ/FBX imports
-sewing all edges and automatically unfolding everything again
-restarting my PC multiple times
-unplugging my graphics card (it was worth a shot...)
-making a new file with primitives to see if this still happens with new meshes (it does)
-adjusting every sort of viewport display setting I could find inside and outside of the UV Editor

Current setup:
-AMD Vega 64 8GB GPU
-AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
-16 GB Gskill RAM
-also running files from my HDD while running Maya from my SSD (doubt it matters, but who knows).

I feel as though I am missing something obvious but it has become increasingly frustrating and I would love to just get to the tedium of unwrapping my scene. Advice and support is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Brett Marshall Tucker

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Haven't seen this one, looks frustrating! i can only think of some things to check here. OS might matter, and check your video card driver version. Multiple monitors? Do you have any software overrides/tweaks/overclocks on the GPU?

Does this happen when the UV editor is in a panel or in a torn off window? How about if you change shading modes for the UV editor, like the colored shells or stretching preview mode? This almost looks like some kind of LOD madness, but I can't really make sense of what... Are these VERY large objects? It kind of looks like the largest UV shells disappear first, wondering what would happen if you used a simple cube, split all the seams and played around with the sizes of faces and UVs for each.

Are all objects using a single uvSet? (default is map1 for things made inside maya) You said it works with fresh primitives so I'll assume that's not the problem, but something to look into at least. How about construction history? Are transforms frozen?

There's always the good ol' "trash the prefs folder", might want to give that a shot too.
  • brettmarshalltucker
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty, I think I can rule out any hardware errors. I was using my TV as a second monitor, with a HDMI cable, but when unplugged, the issue persists. Everything is up to date otherwise. And no tweaks to the GPU at all.

The issue happens both when the UV Editor is in its own, torn off window and when in a panel within the confines of Maya's original window.

The issue is unaffected by different shading modes. And the objects are actually way smaller than real life. Less than an inch in any direction (thanks for making me check that!) so scale shouldn't be the cause.

I tired the cube idea, still happens to some of the faces, regardless of scale. But not with a cylinder...very strange.

Finally, the uvSet is map1 for all objects. I also often delete construction history when working and just deleted all history by type. No dice. Transforms were frozen before unwrapping.

Also, just deleted prefs. No change! What a nuisance. I really appreciate all of the options and assistance. It does only seem to happen to certain objects in the scene so I will try more specific things to said objects. Wish me luck!
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    not sure whats going on here, but if youre comfortable sending me a dm with the scene, i can take a look and see if i can find anything
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    does the mel "ogs -reset" help here..
    sometimes if i ran out of gpu ram my uvs are also disappearing...

• brettmarshalltucker
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure whats going on here, but if youre comfortable sending me a dm with the scene, i can take a look and see if i can find anything
    oglu said:
    does the mel "ogs -reset" help here..
    sometimes if i ran out of gpu ram my uvs are also disappearing...

It actually seems as though the issue went away on its own, for the most part. It's happening very infrequently now. Still a mystery but I will report back if it picks back up. Thanks for the assistance!
  • davidMarti
    I registered only to say I had the same issue.  Very strange.
  • JamirBlanco
    Offline / Send Message
    JamirBlanco polycounter lvl 8
    ogs -reset worked for me. Thanks!
  • rejxil
    I am having same issue. How do I do ogs-reset? Can't find how to open command line. 
  • Loodman
    Setting the "Maximum Texture Resolution" to "Custom" in the viewport render settings, and reducing the max resolution to something low (128-ish)  worked for me. Seems to be a video card memory issue (i'm on an old Mac).