Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Beginner animator looking for critiques/help to get better... I guess

crappyguy
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
crappyguy polycounter lvl 2
Hello!
This is my first post(?) Here heh i domt yet know how things go here so please forgive any mistake i make and guide me if you can.
Anyway I'll start by giving you guys a  link to my ball animation i did this evening, hoping to get some opinions.
I'd appreciate it a lot :smile:  Thankyou!

https://youtu.be/T5fbhT9-S4Y

Replies

• crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and also, i think i will keep posting links to my works (worth asking for feedback on) regularly in this thread if it is allowed to continue.
  • brucemoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    Nice, at 0:02 I see a problem with the squash stretch, your next frame should be stretched but still on the ground then we can see the shape change.

Right now you don't feel it because it's strobing with the huge gap, you absolutely do need this gap but it should come after the stretch. Like this
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my, yes i see what you mean. I will get on correcting it. Thanks a lot for your time! :)
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again!
    So i worked kn a couple of more scenes.
    https://youtu.be/oHglHMrzeKo

And

https://youtu.be/LtvUaPvFpLY

Any critique/tips will be highly appreciated! Thankyou!
  • EVernier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVernier polycounter lvl 8
    On that last video it feels like the big ball loses some of its floatiness for the last few bounces. You've got a good grasp of the basic principles, good work!  Edit: You're also losing a bit of forward momentum in both shots.
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes i tend to mess up the movement across the screen a lot. Sigh. Been working on it and will continue to!
    About the floatiness, i see what you mean. Thankyou very much! That was helpful :)
  • brucemoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    A good rule to remember is that each bounce loses roughly the same amount of energy, so let's say the second bounce is two thirds as high as the initial bounce.

Then the next bounce that succeeds this will follow the same pattern of 1/3 energy loss. You seem to be breaking that rule in the later stages of your bounce and it kind of stops bouncing too quickly.
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do a seperate clip just to do those nicely the next time^^ 
    Thanks! 
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did this just now. There are some stuff i should fix but for now im not sure how to, i think ill redo thw second half.
    Anyway here's the link
    https://youtu.be/XcB41Gcv5Jk

Please take a look and tell me what mistakes i made or how i can get it donw better! Thankyou!
  • EVernier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVernier polycounter lvl 8
    I think the bounce at around 0:06 should be a bit higher and have more hangtime (not a lot). Starting from 0:08 we can feel that the ball has an unsteady momentum when going up and down the half-pipe. The movement should be smooth. Similar to your other animations, when the ball stops it feels a bit abrupt and uneven. Overall I think you're doing a pretty good job.
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. Thankyou for that :)
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i think this is better than the one i posted a few days ago, the one above.
    I still couldn't properly do the correct speeding in thw half pipe thingy which EVernier mentioned, so ill just practice doing that in a seperate scene. Thanks for the help :)

https://youtu.be/-YZ76_uO9VE

For those who prefer syncsketch :

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/f03a6d9c9aa5/#324994
  • tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    After getting hit by the spinny-thingy (that's the technical term), the ball seems to loose a lot of it's horizontal motion on the first bounce. The 2 frames of contact on each of the 3 bounces down the steps needs some adjusting because I can see it pausing which breaks the illusion of momentum. Once those contact frames are fixed I think it'll be easier to see the horizontal momentum issue. 
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't sure if a single frame contact pose would work.
    Welp, only one way to find out :)
    Thanks!
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellow again!
    So i tried animating a simple pendulum movement across the screen and this proved to be way tougher than i expected.
    https://youtu.be/AuzrWTjAPcI
    This is after a few trials. I dont think this looks good but i cant point at why. Looking for help here :3 much appreciated!
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello!
    i worked pretty hard on this particular clip, although because i messed up at the beginning stages. anyway, here's the clip. please give any feedback or critique you can, ill be very grateful! thanks!
    https://youtu.be/Bk2lzlpefoI
  • Obstfelder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obstfelder polycounter lvl 7
    Great animations! I like the playfull way you are setting up these exercises!

The last couple of clips have a bit of the low gravity feel to them. It might just be because I read the pendulum as being very small, and I therefore expect it to swing faster. Also It seems more the right speed when it is trailing the platform and somehow starts swinging more slowly when the platform stops. As if it suddenly has changed its scale at that moment, or that gravity has changed.

I think it's great that you are putting these exercises up here! Fundamentals is something we should practice and discuss more, and you are setting a good example!
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there! ImI glad you liked the exercises xD
    About the last pendulum clip : the 360 rotation does feel a bit slower to me too but i kept it that way to avoid another thing xD i was just feeling lazy. But about the change in weight/gravi thing, ill need to check other's animations out i guess? Because im not sure if i understand what you mean perfectly. It'd be nice if you could explain that a little bit more. Thanks for the feedback anyway!

And yes that is exactly why i keep posting these clips at multiple websites and forums, even tho in some places i get no replies at all. I do it im hopes that 1) ofc i mene help with them and 2) someone someday might come across my thread, notice my growth and get inspired to do the same. Many people have told me to start from the basics/fundamentals and that is what i am doing :) (although I'm skipping to the next type of exercise as soon as i make a clip that pleases a lot of people).

Right now I'm working on my first squirrel rig animation :D clips coming soon!
  • Obstfelder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obstfelder polycounter lvl 7
    It's good to keep moving forward :)

about the gravity change thing: Basically, the speed and accelleration with which a pendulum swings is decided by gravity. If the pendulum is large it will use more time to swing from side to side than a small one because gravity accelerates stuff with a constant force (it's the length of the string that decides the time it takes actually). So if you want to make a small looking pendulum you swing it fast and for a big one you swing it slow. But if you change its rate of acceleration midway through, it will look like gravity has changed.

It seemed to me that when your little platform stops the pendulum swings more slowly from side to side than I was anticipating, based on the previous motion. So I had the impression that gravity changed.
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello, i'm back! Thankyou for your support so far   
    been practicing the tailed ball exercise, which proved to be a real challenge for me to get a grasp on. but now i think i kind of got the hang of it. still, it's far from complete/decent. i plan on making this particular clip my final one for this exercise, so no matter how long it takes, i will work on this one until i'm satisfied with it.
    i already have a couple of things in mind which i intend to add into the tail. by the wai, the tail is supposed to feel alive.
    please take a look at the clip below and help me out. will appreciate it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdK...eature=youtu.be
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    First note is that it feels too slow. All the jumps feel too slow.

Try making the first jump much snappier. And then your jumps after could take a little longer

Upload this on syncsketch as well.
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou bfor letting me know. Ill look into it.
    Uploading it on syncsketch asap. 
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First note is that it feels too slow. All the jumps feel too slow.

Try making the first jump much snappier. And then your jumps after could take a little longer

Upload this on syncsketch as well.
    here's the syncsketch link. 
    https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/c63c59d3b9c0/
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guess who's back, back again. shady's ba.. i mean. hello again!
    took some notes from a lot you you kind people. again, thankyou!
    -tried making the jumps/leaps snappier without shortening the air time
    -added a sliding action at the start cause it was a cool idea
    -bits of squash and stretch adjustments
    -gave the end part of the tail a little wiggling action when in the air

would love to read your thoughts/reviews/critiques on this.

• crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi! why am i so lonely xD
    so, this is my second try at a walk, or what they call a vanilla walk (sounds cool). i'm not yet sure if i have fixed the popping knee issue totally or not. unfortunately there's no knee snap function available in this rig, fixing the knee issue is tough. or maybe im too much of a noob.
    anyway, please take some time to tell me how you think this is and how i can make it better.
    also, it'd be great if someone could show me what a walk's knee arc should look like (exactly how smooth is smooth enough?)

thanks!

• penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Hey crappy!

The walk is looking nice and smooth, can tell you've got the curves under control which is an underrated skill in animation.

Overall I think you could push both the rotations and translations on the COG before fixing up the knee pops. Knee pops are a final fix once you've locked down everything else because they are so easily ruined by slight changes as you're finding now :)

My suggestions
    - Twist the hip forward further with the leg reaching forward
    - More translation up and down
    - Careful with your foot roll, at the moment you have it rolling > then translating and rotating at the same time over a few frames, so it is lifting off the ground completely. You want to try and keep the foot contacted to the ground and do a gradual roll to the tip, then lift. In my experience the best way to get a nice footroll is snap the roll back to 0 over 1 frame, then go frame by frame for 2-3 frames animating the toe flap so it's a smooth transition. Letting the roll attribute go back to 0 over a few frames will  have an artificial look and requires counter animating to fix, so I find a 1 frame snap to be better!

Hope you're enjoying AM, it's a great course!
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey penOr. Thankyou for all the info and the points. That explains some doubts i had. Really helpful. I'll put those into my clip, or maybe a new one with a few more steps.
    Oh and, I'm not in AM, or any other school. i'm teaching myself. I mean, i have YouTube, survival kit, all good people like you Helping me out, but yeah, other than that, its just me xD
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    No worries! Ah I just assumed because you were doing the exact same lesson structure as class 1  :)
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh i actually am follow their structure. Since i didn't know how to start and how to progress, i searched online for a bit and found a blog by Tim Rudder and thought, why not xD
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello! the walk exercise is giving me a hard time xD please provide your valuable feedback in this clip below. thankyou!
    https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/2c2dd91a6c09/
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello again. Late post. been struggling with the walk for about  3 weeks now, ghosh xD thanks to everyone who helped me up until now. (altho i think this place is becoming a little inactive)
    anyway, heres the latest walk attempt: https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/0a236f9bf8bf/

please leave any tips or critiques you can, will appreciate it! :)
  • citadel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    citadel null
    very nice, its come a long way!

a few things to consider:
    -explore twisting the hips more quickly through the 'passing pose' till the 'up pose' or maybe till the 'contact pose'. Can add a nice transfer of weight, more dynamic!
    -the cog might be a little too low in the down pose, is this character that heavy?
    - I also mentioned translating the cog back a little on the  'up pose'. Its possible its weight will feel better more on the back leg through that up pose.
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thankyou very much citadel. just before opening this page i actually was trying to lift the body up a bit in the down pose as it looked too unnatural for a regular body to be that way. i think ill experiment with that a little, but it definitely needs to be lighter.
    same goes for your other points. ill try them out for sure. i like the idea about the fast swing of the torso, it might look good. thankyou for your points :)
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Left some notes. Solid work.
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou very much for aGoodFella :)
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I tried (and failed i guess) at a personality walk with the same rig.
    This is supposed to be a feminine walk, but idk, it just doesn't look good to me. Please have a look and let me know what im doing wrong. Thanks!.
    https://syncsketch.com/sketch/513ccae1ee33/
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ichi polycounter lvl 2
    Looking nice, I'd say the hips lean a bit too far to screen right when that screen right foot is planted. Also watch out because the hips are rotating up as if there is a force being applied to them before the foot has any weight on it. Last thing I noticed was that the hips are hitting a bit of a wall when they get to their furthest point left/right, you could  work in a bit more movement in your graph editor so they don't stop translating
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     i see, these minute things are exactly what i love to hear about. thank you very much!
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello! here's a playblast (stepped) of a fullbody vanilla walk im trying to do. i also blocked in stepped for the first time, so, help needed. thanks!
    https://www.syncsketch.com/sketch/0c7a754056dd/
  • crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this place dying or am i just posting boring stuff? Im kinda worried.
    Anyway, need some reviews on this (just the hips and the legs, ill get on the rest of the body later.) 

:https//www.syncsketch.com/sketch/295b655ffaec/

Also, is there anyone out there willing to add me somewhere so that we can exchange reviews  and help each other out on a daily basis? That would be nice. 

Thanks!

• crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking for critiques on this clip. Thanks :)
    https://syncsketch.com/sketch/b6949cab1a83/

• crappyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Is has been a while! i hope you all are doing well.
    well, i did not die, and neither did my passion. i went and enrolled myself in animschool for a term aaaand did some fun stuff, met some awesome people and had a great time. so i kind of have been busy to keep posting here. 
    Thank you all again, for all the help you gave me here. i hope that one day i can give back too :)

i wanted to share my progress with you all here, since you all helped me get here. here're the shots i worked on these past few months : 

at the end, if you did not read it all, i hope you have a good day :)
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    You've improved quite a bit since your first post! Keep it up and you'll have a nice reel to show pretty soon I imagine  :)