Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Zoe splash art

Scarlia
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Scarlia polycounter lvl 3
Newest version:

Original post:
I burned through most of my freelance work last week and now have some spare time to finally join this contest!
My goal is to improve my rendering and overall illustration abilitys, seeing as characters are still my absolute weak point.

I decided to design a spalsh of Zoe.
Here are the first couple of ideas I had.
There were also done without reference, so non of them look liek zoe at all.

1. Couldhead: Cloudhair and Pyjama gear
2. Sakura: Playful highshool girl. If I go with this one I definitely need to find a more fitting pose
3. Wated to try Ying/Yang hair but threw that out the window.
4. Chinese New year Skin + Fireworks in background. Also not happy with the pose.
5. Alice in wonderland skin.
6. First interation of the Alice idea.
7+8 already thrown out.

Replies

• Scarlia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Explored the alice and the fairy idea a bit further and started sketching a skin design.
    Also I practiced figure drawing like crazy...
    poses are still not a good as they should be, but that's probably the best I can do for now :/
    Also I gatherd a lot of zoe references to get the proportions and face right-ish

• Scarlia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright! I managed to figure out the alice skin and color it as well.
    My favourite is 1 so far.
  • Scarlia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really quickly threw some colors onto the other ideas, but non of them are as strong as the alice one
  • Scarlia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renderd the red-haird Alice more and figured out how the bow in the back works.
  • Scarlia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started with comps.
    Idea 1: The first idea I had was having zoe hang from a tree and interact with the cheshire cat named timo.
    This one might be a bit too chaotic. Will have to tidy up the tree if I move on with this.

Idea 2: Baron-ish looking caterpillar and zoe sitting on a mushroom.

I gave up on the third idea because I'm not skilled enough to pull of the poses and angles I would want for this :/. And the one that I could do (see below) feels so much weaker that the other two above.
    Posting it anyway to show the paddleball mirror + stone idea haha.

• Scarlia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rendering yay

Alright I'm calling it done. There are still so many things I don't like and I absolutely hate the face. Will probably try and get some feedback from people that know what they are doing and re-render this :)
    Also last minute butterflys were maybe not a good idea :D

• OmNomNaomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OmNomNaomi triangle
    THIS IS SO CUTE/COOL AND LOOKS LEGIT AND AMAZING ;O; The 3 examples you did with the stormy cloud hair, OMG SHE WOULD HAVE SUCH A BADASS ELEMENTALIST SKIN! ;O;O;O; But holy HECK Alice idea is ADORABLE ;W; makes me curious what her abilities could look like