Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Journey in 3D Modelling

Ewencheong
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Ewencheong null
Hello~finally created a thread after n-years of lurking in Polycount. I have started a course on 3D modelling locally and I will be posting all my models and WIPs in this thread. My goal is to be an environment artist for games so I'm thinking texturing and modelling will be my focus. I will be posting up the actual Maya file up too just in case someone is interested in checking the mesh :wink: 

Oh yea, if there is a better way to showcase the models do let me know too~
Thank you for stopping by and enjoy the trip!

Replies

• Ewencheong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ewencheong null

Low Poly Peugeot French Coffee Mill

I had some advice from my lecturer to model out the smaller parts of the mill so I did some research and modeled the parts that could be taken out. Will be working on a high poly version soon.

File link here https://goo.gl/jqhD3m
  • Ewencheong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ewencheong null

Shaded only

Wireframe on Shaded

Trying to sharpen the edges with smooth shade helped a lot in making sure the typology is clean and no overlapping vertex. It really helped in practicing on how to clean up after increasing edges.

Maya file link > https://goo.gl/q1YXkJ
  • Yura_Vorobiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yura_Vorobiev interpolator
    Nice model, are you gonna bake it, or some of parts will use tile texture? If fully bake, then i think edges will be too sharp for bake, also i suggest to make a little different profile of detail 2, for better bake, if you gonna bake it. 
    Good luck!
  • Ewencheong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ewencheong null
    Nice model, are you gonna bake it, or some of parts will use tile texture? If fully bake, then i think edges will be too sharp for bake, also i suggest to make a little different profile of detail 2, for better bake, if you gonna bake it. 
    Good luck!
    Hey Yura, thanks for the feedback! This version of model will not be baked as this is more of a practice to get clean topology even with a higher poly counts. Though just in case I'm modelling with baking process in mind, if the wood plank has rounder edges, will it make a difference being a separated object or combined object with the body?
  • Yura_Vorobiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yura_Vorobiev interpolator
    Ewencheong Well it's no big difference if the edges continue to be smooth enough for well bake. As for me i would model what i signed as 1, as a single mesh, matter of taste  :)