Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Arcade Taliyah, the Pixelweaver

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Chiharu_J polycounter lvl 2
Man the amount of talent on here is just amazing, I'm new around here so hello everybody. I'm doing this for fun since it's something different from my usual work. I think finding this contest is a good warm up for 2018. Anyway, I think Taliyah deserves a little bit more love so I'm doing an arcade skin of her. The colours of the arcade skin are completely out of my comfort zone so I'd like to see how this is going to go down. So far I just have a rough concept of what her arcade outfit will look like. 

I'm really looking forward to this actually, hoping to see a lot more fantastic entries :D 

Replies

• Chiharu_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out some composition, this is what I came up with so far. Hmm
  • Chiharu_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deciding on switching the composition around and I actually like it even more. Added a bit of a background as well, basically Taliyah bursts through Battle Boss Ziggs domain, pixelating his minions and viewing screen?  lol She's after the ultimate Great Orb and nothing can stop  her and well let's obliterate some bad guys on the way. Wanted to capture a bit of cheeky teenage spirit in her expression.
  • Chiharu_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a little moodboard to help with the overall look of the illustration, I love using coloured lights and my themes are usually kinda dark so the lighting always stand out.

I tried not to go too dark with Taliya's colours though and keeping some of her original colours as well, i.e. purple and red but arcade is always about a fun mix of colours so I tried to add in colour that went with her overall look. Even though I didn't put it on here, i changed her colous so many times.

• Chiharu_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So just a few progress shots, had to post all these at the same time, blowe I was applying all the colours I'd chosen for the arcade theme in her concept. There's a little palette there at the top.

Started working with the shadows :D

Coloured the background elements and worked on the face. I always like working on the face on it's own. Amzing how a dark background bring out all the colours, it had been more purple at first but changed it to a more fuchsia shade.

This is the drawing without inking, added more colours to the lighting of the bg and a bit of the foreground orb.

• Chiharu_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My favourite part is lights!

FINAL VERSION - added more lights and tightened on the rendering.