Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Narrative

[WIP] MISS FORTUNE - A Child That Makes It All Worthwhile

karefs
vertex
Offline / Send Message
karefs vertex
Hi again!

This is my second thread for my second story about Miss Fortune. Here it is!

MISS FORTUNE:

word count: 995

Miss Fortune is my main in the league, and I love her cockiness, confidence, and intelligence. I began to think that she couldn’t have always been like this—that previous circumstances made her who she is—that somewhere deep down, an innocent child, Sarah, still resides within her. So, with this story, I wanted to explore Miss Fortune more and also give credit to Sarah. There are two sides of her after all; the girl she was born as and the woman she became.

Title:

Her parents’ revenge from Gangkplank eased the pain of their loss, and becoming a strong and independent woman is what they always wanted for her. Miss Fortune truly embodies ‘A Child That Makes It All Worthwhile’ in her own way. And this is a story about a small part of her long journey, the voyage thrust upon her when her parents were taken away from her.

Point of View:

I didn’t see the need to write the story from Miss Fortune’s mouth, even though I’ve written it purely from her point of view because it’s already a dialogue-heavy piece. Although it could go either way, I used third-person narration to reach out to readers.

Characters & Voices:

I found Miss Fortune being in Bilgewater fascinating. However, even though she always got what she wanted, I felt like she wasn’t unstoppable. Foreseeing what was going to happen after killing the strongest crews in Bilgewater, she needed an ally as strong as herself. The ally had to be someone that we all know, someone that wouldn’t get lost in her shadow. At last, I found the perfect candidate—Graves. He was equally cocky, strong and had an impressive sleight of mouth. So, at the end of my story, I planted the seeds of a strong friendship for future events.

As for the dialogue, I realized Miss Fortune doesn’t have a thick sailor accent, but a manipulative, flirtatious voice, so it was important to reflect her, not by her words, but by how she says them. It was easy to capture and fun to write.

On the contrary, I felt the need for an antagonist with a thick sailor accent, and Gankplank’s men would be a good choice. At this point, I researched the sailor and pirate terminology. Then I fed the dialogues with my findings.

I didn’t forget to add Miss Fortune’s famous quotes from the League of course!

I studied the visuals of Bilgewater and read the stories about the region. Then I created a map with the right atmosphere for my story. The bridge, the filthy air, slippery alleys... 

Moreover, considering how pirates love drinking, there had to be a tavern and a bar fight! It was inevitable, lol!

Any kind of feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!