Home Technical Talk

Way to get nice beveled edges without using edge loops?

jordank95
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
hey guys. I know there’s some plugins that do this, basically I’m looking for a way to get nice rounded/beveled edges without using a bunch of edge loops and sub-dividing. Sometimes the model is a bit complex and putting all those edge loops around just to get smooth edges is a major time consumer. I use Maya if that’s any help. 

Thanks guys 

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like you answered your own question. The choices in Maya for automagic stuff is either Shapeshifter or HBevel. Edge creasing with sets is valid, but I tend to prefer manual loops if the model is complex.
  • TTools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    If you're only interested in getting nice bevels in your high poly for baking to your low without edgeloops, you might consider checking out this thread:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/168610/proboolean-dynamesh-hardsurface-workflow-tutorial/p3

Once I started using dynamesh and polish, edge loops and sub-d's became something I would only bother with for super simple things.

If you're not familiar with the technique, the premise is to use booleans and basic modeling in Maya, and then take that into Zbrush where you re-project the topology with Dynamesh to a very very dense 'grid' of polygons.  The poly density is so high that you can then polish the edges to get perfect bevel edges.  You can then you decimation master to get the high poly back into a more manageable polycount for baking in the package of your choice (substance, xnormal, knald, etc, etc).

The complexity you can attain is somewhat limitless, without being confined to the arduous workflow of inserting control edge loops in all the right places :)