Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Arctic Ops Rakan & Xayah [ WIP]

triangle
Offline / Send Message
R_Degree triangle

Hello, Rº here and super excited. Found out about the contest a few days ago and really hope I can put something together by the end of the month. I really wish Riot would revive the Arctic skin line for bot lane, and what better way than with Rakan and Xayah. This is just a rushed post before I work on early sketches and can't wait to post more !

Arctic Ops Inspiration

Birds

Rakan & Xayah

Replies

• R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle

Really rushed work, Took me most the day and a bit from the previous night. I plan to use whats above to finalize two rough drafts for both Champions. Really Hyphy and racing the clock  o:)
  • R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle

So I've had a ton of work and only got one out of the four final drafts I plan to do. Was so happy to finish this and head to bed ( rip only going to get 5 hours of sleep ). I have another version of Xayah I have to do and then two drafts for Rakan. Then I can do detailed drawings for what two I end up using ... then do a splash ... then ability previews ... then more clean up !   :o
  • DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    I really think the idea is super cool!
    As for Rakan's head I'd go with B or C tbh as his hair are kind of a must have else he'll look really wierd and not much like Rakan. Maybe give him a new haircut (a bit like the bird u showed on the pic)
    For Rakan's body / armor I'd go with B or C too as these rly look badass already onsketch :o 
    Regarding Xayah its gr8 u kept the hood! It looks super cool. Cant wait for your splash for these skins *-*
  • R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle

Finally got the second Xayah concept done with  B) 
  • R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle

I Know Rakan looks a bit more built than usual but when I add details and textures it'll look more like padding rather than muscles. Just one more draft of Rakan to go before I finalize what will be what. So exhausted but this project is absolutely loads of fun !
  • R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle

:( looking back I might end up adding less suit to xayah and more armor but who knows
  • DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    R_Degree said:

I Know Rakan looks a bit more built than usual but when I add details and textures it'll look more like padding rather than muscles. Just one more draft of Rakan to go before I finalize what will be what. So exhausted but this project is absolutely loads of fun !
    *-* I'm in love 
    where can I sign up to be his wife? xD
    I think u gotta find something for their capes as they are an essential part of their model.
    Really looking forward x3
  • R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle

Second Rakan is now done with !!!!~
  • R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle

Now to just make the final draft and I can add the feathers and start the splash art  :s  
  • DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Rakan #1 and Xayah #2
    Looks incredble! 
    As for why: Rakans hair on #1 just looks more Rakan-ish and I totally love it
    Xayah #2 also looks in general more like Xayah. #1 is cool and might fit Arctic Ops better but I think for the birdies it is better to not fully cover the face like Varus or Gragas. 
    Tho I gotta say suit number #2 of Rakan might look better cant rly chose as I think both looks really good!
    Totally digging your art x3
    Did you already chose what to take or will you do splashes for both versions?
  • R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle

Yay~ I added the wing and some colors.  
  • R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle

I ended up mixing the two options for both Rakan and Xayah. Maybe I'll change some colors or the pattern later when I do the splash. Hope I can finish it in time...   :s
  • DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Looks really cool both of them!
    Tho I'm not sure if the dark blue on Rakan's wing/cape is that good. Either make it a bit thinner or maybe get rid of it completely ? (not sure if that will look good tho but atleast a bit thinner) I guess you wanted to make it look like a net? both look cool. By the way maybe you can try to add one Xayah feather on Rakans suit and one of Rakan's on Xayah (as it seems thats what Riot is doing on their skins). Just a small detail in case u got the time ^^
  • R_Degree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R_Degree triangle
    DawnHeart said:
    Looks really cool both of them!
    Tho I'm not sure if the dark blue on Rakan's wing/cape is that good. Either make it a bit thinner or maybe get rid of it completely ? (not sure if that will look good tho but atleast a bit thinner) I guess you wanted to make it look like a net? both look cool. By the way maybe you can try to add one Xayah feather on Rakans suit and one of Rakan's on Xayah (as it seems thats what Riot is doing on their skins). Just a small detail in case u got the time ^^
    Thank you again! Well, the wing is based on the Blue Jay's wing but I might change that too, since I didn't like it that much. They both have like a military necklace that I was gonna add more detail to, but I could change that too...So many changes to be done still :persevere: 
    So Ima just focus on the splash's composition for now. 
  • R_Degree