Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Blood Moon Evelynn

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
EraiViolett polygon
For my second entry I'll design and illustrate Evelynn in the Blood moon theme, which is one of my favorites. I got inspired by Geishas instead of warriors since Evelynn's greatest weapon is her alluring 'personality', as you can see almost all the other Blood moon concepts have a "ready for battle" design, (disregarding Elise) but Evelynn is different when it comes to killing. Please let me know which design you like the most, or which pieces of the thumbnails (ej. any one's hair, clothing or anything else) Ultimately I'll be taking the best parts of each thumbnail, then finish the concept art. 

As for her shadow version, I'm thinking based off her human form Ill create a demonic shade or something along the lines. And once finished with the Concept, Ill go straight for the Illustration

Here the thumbnails:

please let me know what you think, and if possible check out my other submissions and give me feedback on them as well, thank you!

Replies

• Amaranthine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaranthine polycounter lvl 4
    Holy hell. I did a concept for Blood Moon Eve when her rework was revealed and it was so close to yours in thinking/design wise I shivered haha. You executed it better though so I'm really really excited to see this! I LOVE the relation to geisha's as well, works wonderfully!
    I like the design of 6 overall the most. i think it gives her a unique-ness and is very very beautiful, but you can also tell she's something to be wary of. (my boyfriend pointed it out immediately and said it was "genius" haha)
    Other than that though, I'll break down the rest with a little explanation since you asked for what pieces of the thumbnails!

Hair: 3 and 6 are my favourites. I feel like the bun really brings the giesha feel while keeping evelynn silouhette and theme of short hairstyles intact.

Mask: 1, 3, and 6. The demure/geisha look is the most prominent in these, and adds to her theme of looking cute/soft and becoming terrifying. The horns on 1 and 3 are the most noticeable, but you could use the smaller horns on 3 for her "disguise" and the horns on 1 or 6 for her demon shade form.

Top Half of Dress: 1, 3, 6. I feel like the low cut kimono is a must for the skin line, the longer sleeves also pay a big part into it. I like the adornments on her shoulders on 3, the pattern on 6,  and the color on 1.

Lashers: 1, 2, and 6. I feel like 1 and 2 bring a fiercness, while 2 is the most unique and also the most attractive, 1 might be easier to work with since it's similar to the shape of the normal lashers she has. I also love 6, it's like her hair intertwines with it which is a beautiful/wonderful concept, but the end of it feels a bit awkward.

Nails: I would go with the blue color because it not only is prevalent in the skin line itself, but also ties the rest of the outfits colors together.

Bottom Half of Dress: 3, 4, and 6. I like 6 because the long piece in the middle helps tie together the top half covering so little, and I like 3 and 4 because even though they don't have the longer piece going down the center, they have a nice slit on one side, allowing for some nice design choices with something underneath or the type of shoes/stockings she can wear.

Shoes/Stockings: 1, 3, 4, 5, or 6. I'm really in love with the long stocking and the low stocking from 1, 3, and 4 if you decide to go with the shorter kimono style because I feel like it works well to add detail and not leave anything feeling "empty".  However, if you decide to with the lower, centered kimono bottom from design 6, then I would go with the shoes from either 5 or 6. I feel like a really cool design choice would be to add the shoes from 5 to the design of 6, because the blue from the shoes would help tie in the blue from the nails, and help her feel sleek and cat-like without the heavier look from the original shoes. =)

Hope this helps! I really love your designs and I'm looking forward to seeing progress!

• EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Holy hell. I did a concept for Blood Moon Eve when her rework was revealed and it was so close to yours in thinking/design wise I shivered haha. You executed it better though so I'm really really excited to see this! I LOVE the relation to geisha's as well, works wonderfully!
    I like the design of 6 overall the most. i think it gives her a unique-ness and is very very beautiful, but you can also tell she's something to be wary of. (my boyfriend pointed it out immediately and said it was "genius" haha)
    Other than that though, I'll break down the rest with a little explanation since you asked for what pieces of the thumbnails!

Hair: 3 and 6 are my favourites. I feel like the bun really brings the giesha feel while keeping evelynn silouhette and theme of short hairstyles intact.

Mask: 1, 3, and 6. The demure/geisha look is the most prominent in these, and adds to her theme of looking cute/soft and becoming terrifying. The horns on 1 and 3 are the most noticeable, but you could use the smaller horns on 3 for her "disguise" and the horns on 1 or 6 for her demon shade form.

Top Half of Dress: 1, 3, 6. I feel like the low cut kimono is a must for the skin line, the longer sleeves also pay a big part into it. I like the adornments on her shoulders on 3, the pattern on 6,  and the color on 1.

Lashers: 1, 2, and 6. I feel like 1 and 2 bring a fiercness, while 2 is the most unique and also the most attractive, 1 might be easier to work with since it's similar to the shape of the normal lashers she has. I also love 6, it's like her hair intertwines with it which is a beautiful/wonderful concept, but the end of it feels a bit awkward.

Nails: I would go with the blue color because it not only is prevalent in the skin line itself, but also ties the rest of the outfits colors together.

Bottom Half of Dress: 3, 4, and 6. I like 6 because the long piece in the middle helps tie together the top half covering so little, and I like 3 and 4 because even though they don't have the longer piece going down the center, they have a nice slit on one side, allowing for some nice design choices with something underneath or the type of shoes/stockings she can wear.

Shoes/Stockings: 1, 3, 4, 5, or 6. I'm really in love with the long stocking and the low stocking from 1, 3, and 4 if you decide to go with the shorter kimono style because I feel like it works well to add detail and not leave anything feeling "empty".  However, if you decide to with the lower, centered kimono bottom from design 6, then I would go with the shoes from either 5 or 6. I feel like a really cool design choice would be to add the shoes from 5 to the design of 6, because the blue from the shoes would help tie in the blue from the nails, and help her feel sleek and cat-like without the heavier look from the original shoes. =)

Hope this helps! I really love your designs and I'm looking forward to seeing progress!

Gosh, Thank you so much for your feedback! this is really thorough, i like it!
    To me there's been a few things people pointed out from reddit and twitter that I think fit great with Eve's theme:
    1.- Eve has the horns growing out of her forehead instead of wearing a mask because her human form is essentially her mask. Or overall, ditch the horns and place them in the shadow form instead.
    2.- 6th's braided hair unbraiding to unfold her lashers feel as if an animal just ready to attack, covering her dangerous weapons with beauty. (Which I feel like it ties a bit to what you and your bf said)

I personally like 1, 3 and 6, my least favorite is 5 but plenty of people tell me it feels appropiate for Eve (i literally inspired that one from her old design lol)

Anyway, thanks for all your comments, Ill be taking them into consideration, I think i know now how she'll end up looking!
  • Amaranthine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaranthine polycounter lvl 4

I personally like 1, 3 and 6, my least favorite is 5 but plenty of people tell me it feels appropiate for Eve (i literally inspired that one from her old design lol)
    I thought the same thing (5 looking like old eve), which is cool (and I think that's why a lot of people liked it), but I think that it may hold the design back because one of the whole reasons for her rework was to not look like the old her anymore.

I'm glad my points helped you out! I look forward to seeing more! <3
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Ill post the full concept soon, but I better start with the thumbnails for the illustration.
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon

I was going to make value/colored thumbnails but I really needed them done today, time is ticking after all. I really hope you can understand them, let me know which you like most and your reason why. If none, tell me what can be better :)
  • reyxcx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reyxcx null
    I really like the mirror scheme on the 5, but the ambient is most karma than evelynn. Maybe if you change the background for a open place, instead of a mirror, a lake with a blood moon will be so beautiful.

Pics for reference:

• EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    @reyxcx thank you for your feedback! I like the Idea of a lake and the last reference from the opther blood moon skins is so amazing to me!, problem with the lake though is the fact that it cannot stand vertically alongside evelynn for me to reflect her back, and in terms of composition I'd have to do a vertical illustration to pull that off, Because of that (and a few other reasons) I decided to go forth with number 2! It still has the reflection, and it is the only one of the thumbnails that goes for the Blood moon theme, whilist the other ones fit Eve's base lore alone. Still, keep me posted on what you think of how the drawing comes along! you can always come back to this or watch me on stream when I go live, just search on twitch with the same name Eraiviolett :)