Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Shtogun: Critiques Please!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone!

I just finished this project over my winter break, and I'm trying to get feedback from as many people as I can on how to improve on the end result. 

I tried to focus on improving my UV organization, texture quality, and my low-poly optimization skills. The final model has around 6,200 tris, and 6,500 verts.

Here's my result:

Higher quality images on my Artstation: 
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OYldJ

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    The dirt looks really out of place and random. Try to get some reference of actual dirty weapons and use them (despite a soldier should always clean his weapon :smile: )

Also the material definition has room for improvement. So far the materials aren't easy to identify.

Maybe you can make the wholes in the barrel real wholes and put some interesting geometry behind it. 
    So far it looks like a energy shotgun with all the lights etc.
    I would say it's a good start but you can (and should) push it. :)
  • Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Hiya @Dethling !

Thanks for the critique! I made material changes based on your advice to make them more identifiable. I think this looks better material-wise, but what do you think?

It's super subtle, but I think it looks more like metal now. Obviously, there's still some refinement to be made.

I've been at work all day, and I still have some to get done, but I'll work on the dirt and inside barrel later on. I was originally going for a dirt-caked look, but given your reaction, I'm not sure it's working on the piece as a whole.

I'll spend some time on the old Pinterest boards and try again :wink:
  • Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Yessiree I sure can @JoshuaG