Home Unreal Engine

Extremely long beard/hair for Unreal Engine - i need some help :3

Monkfish
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Monkfish polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a small cinematic exercise in UE4. I need to create a long hair (30 meters or so) hanging from the tower window. I need it to look good from up close and animate it if possible.. :D (a knight is supposed to climb up to reach the window).
 I appreciate any tips and trick you can share ^^

Replies

• Monkfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Not sure about what "looks good" means here, by looking at the trees. Maybe they are placeholders. Whatever...
    Sounds like a very long tail kind of rigged mesh would work for this. So a long hair mesh, or a few long hair meshes with bones, if it needs to wiggle as you climb up. There is also a thing called cable component which is essentially a tube mesh with physics, without bones, but I'm not sure if you can make the player climbing that.
  • Monkfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Obscura, thanks for the reply
    Some items are placeholders, not the trees though (ouch). Anyway.. Its not intended for a playable level. In the end Its supposed to be a short video and Im aiming for a more stylized, fairy tail look.. Probably should have made this more clear in the description - sorry about that.
    My first idea was to make a long mesh, sculpt it in zbrush, bake normals etc and then do some spline rig in maya.. But im not sure if this is the best approach.. Sculpting such a long mesh can be painful.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    What I mean't with the trees, is that the art style is all over the place. If you are going for a more stylized results, you could sculpt it, yeah. For more realistic result, you can check out the hair creation threads in the technical talk. There were a lot of them these days.