Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Evelynn splash WIP

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
novekai vertex

Hi guys, I'm new to Polycount and I'm happy to share my progress with you! Feedback and critics are welcome and courage. I chose to paint Evelynn for this creative contest. I like how she manipulate for foes with seduction just to torment them. so badass!!

Here's some references I gathered for her along with a few thumbnails.(I learned from knkl about blank pages)  In the thumbnails, I focused more on the composition and dynamic posing. I came up with more thumbnails, but these were the best out of them. From the references, I really like her killing someone in the background. It was a nice way to tell her story and show off her powers.

In the end, I chose the bottom thumbnail. I really liked the idea of her blades making a heart in the back with two men being punctured through the chest. (sorry guys) Created three more thumbnails playing with the light source.

Cleaned up the rough drawing a bit. I also make evelynn slightly bigger to add depth to the scene. I wasn't sure what the left hand was doing by her face.(our left) So I changed the position slightly to rest on her breast. I also changed the hand on the hip.....wasn't feeling that position. I wanted something more dynamic. It was hard to making the blades make sense coming out of her upper back. I altered it a bit but now it doesn't make a heart like I wanted. Imma change that. In the meantime, I added clouds and defined the light source more.

Added rough color with some rough silhouettes in the background. Not sure if I want them to be building or a forest yet.

The long rendering process begins! It's a habit of mine to render the face first...it sadly encourage me to work on a painting. This rendering session was purely focused on evelynn herself.

Short session, played with the hair and tested what material I wanted for her (idk what to call it) shadow demon cloth?

Messed with the face some more. I repainted the hair completely, I have no idea what material her pink hair piece is. Looking at my references, others approached it differently from each other. I guess I will have to figure something out.(I promise it won't be hair) Her torso was giving me a headache. I repainted it so many times and I still don't like it. (clearly I need more practice painting torsos that's contracting)  Repainted the demon clothes, I'm not sure on how to render them and how the light with react to it. This project will be a learning curve for me.

Found some 3d models online of female torso that really helped show the muscle in the abdomen

Thanks to the references, I'm finally satisfied with her stomach!

Flipped the canvas (probably should've done this earlier), color corrected her to match the background, messed with the hand a bit, and played with the demon clothes rendering. Still don't know how I'm going to polish that material. Any advice would be helpful!

Things I need to fix in the back of my mind:

- Lighting is getting lost around the stomach

- Change the blade to make a heart ( also have an idea to bring the closest blade forward and then blur it) Also make the blade proportion to the environment. (its so off right now)

- Change the gloves back pink (idk why I changed that to begin with)

And that's all the progress I've made so far, I started this project Dec 21,2017, I wanted to have some work to show before posting on here. Remember critics and feedback are encourage! Until the next update!:D

Replies