Home Technical Talk

Cel-shading in Maya, problems with models ignoring environment lighting

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Alfax polycounter lvl 7
Hey pals!

I've been experimenting with cel-shading in Maya and I've gotten some really nice results using Arnold's Facing Ratio method (tutorial for the basics of it found here https://support.solidangle.com/display/A5AFMUG/Toon+Shading+with+the+Facing+Ratio+shader). I've made my own changes here and there but it's all still dependent on that Facing Ratio node and the emissive channel of the texture, which causes some complications. Shading seems to be entirely dependent on the camera angle and the model will ignore any sort of external lighting, kinda ruining the scene set-up I was meaning to use.  Does anyone have any experience with similar shading styles?

I tried using Surface Luminance like the tutorial suggests at the end but it seems to work in strange ways. The shading is close to what it needs to be BUT there's a weird ripple effect all over it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• sprunghunt
  • Alfax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alfax polycounter lvl 7
    Oh thanks, that actually gives me pretty accurate cel-shading! Only shame is the edge highlight from the other system seems to be gone and that was the one thing I was really digging. Shame but that's something I'm willing to give up for the time being.

To be fair, I seem to have gotten that out of sheer luck while messing with nodes, hahahah.
  • Alfax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alfax polycounter lvl 7
    Seems like I may have overlooked a fairly big issue and that is the object is not affected by a light's colour. That is, they'll be shaded properly but the colour itself will always be unaffected by lights. I wonder if there's a way for the ramp to be modified to fit in a light's colour input.

It's weird though, cause at some point I could've sworn coloured lighting was working as intended. Perhaps I broke something on my end?

Added to that, I can't get Normal maps to work with this properly. Seems like the system isn't as nice as I originally thought it was x.x

(These gloves should have visible stitches and sharp edges but the normal maps seem to be entirely absent)