Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

Phantom Nami

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Myrmirada polycounter lvl 3
Hey Guys! 

A bit late to the party maybe, but I'm joining with a dark skin idea for Nami! 
As a support main, Nami is one of the champions I have actually played a few times. I like her original skin a lot, but felt it was a bit of a shame she has no dark or evil themed skins other than Deep Sea Nami, which unfortunately is a skin I'm not too fond of. I'm not here to crack down on existing skins though, so I'll not get into the whys here ^-^  

Either way, the idea of an actually 'evil' appearing Nami really appealed to me. And I could think of no better idea than to make her appear as if she's from the infamous Shadow Isles. A spirited mermaid, with a ghostly, hardened appearance haunting the sea that holds the Isles. 

Here's my mood board and refs I've gathered as main inspiration: 

I decided I would like to take my inspiration mostly from Thresh and Kalista, as well as a bit of Soul Stealer Vayne, while trying to keep the shadow isles' theme in mind as best I could. Nami's original design needs to shine through as well, as this should still obviously be our mermaid support. 
So, here's the concepts I've come up with so far, playing around as much as possible to get good variations;

I progressed from 1 to 6. As you can tell, number 1 is really close to Nami's original design, but with a ghostly twist. I liked it a lot at first, but realized I might be too conservative in my approach, as is the case with many of nami's skins. It definitely still has an elegant alure to it though.

In number 2 the white cloth made her seem too friendly, the staff still didn't work for me and the waist armor design was a nono. 
I fixed all those in number 3, however she had become too 'reaper'  like. On one hand this is fine, we have Reaper Soraka and it also goes well with Soul Stealer Vladimir, but it wasn't what I wanted to go for. I wanted shadow isles, not another halloween special reaper. 
I tried to bring back the elegant dark of number 1 in number 4, but the headpiece looked too diablo and the skulls didn't appeal without the hood. 

Then come my favorite two, number 5 and 6. I tried to bring back Nami's original headdress in 5, but with a more evil appearing twist. Also in line with Riot's usual armoring habits I added rims to the armor plates. 
I really like this design, but the hood grew on me so I made version 6.... without the skulls it's a little less reaper like, and looks about as ominous as the headdress of 5, perhaps with a little more personality.

I'm divided though, I'm really not sure whether I should go with number 5 or 6. Your opinion with a bit of feedback in regards to why you like which one best would be appreciated ^-^

Replies

• MiDiary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiDiary triangle
    Oh my *  u  * as a Nami main this pleases me greatly! 
  • Yangyexin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yangyexin triangle
    3 is really nice, but that might be because I'm just fond of hoods. Though 5 is definitely a close fav as well.
  • FrancoDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrancoDraws vertex
    I really like the helmet on 5! good job!
  • hikaririn144
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hikaririn144 vertex
    1, 3, and 5 are my favorites! keep up the good work!
  • BeccaBeeArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeccaBeeArts triangle
    4 and 5 are my favorites!
  • Mariah22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mariah22 triangle
  • Jeffrey_Luo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrey_Luo triangle
    I love playing nami! This is some amazing designs. If its designs that I'd like to see would be 1 and 5! I 
  • JoPainter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoPainter triangle
    I love 6!! Really dramatic and immediately caught my eye

• Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :D I got a whole bunch of feedback (asked around a bit too)  and since both sides (mask/helmet vs hood) both had very solid and fair reasons as to which to take, I couldn't choose! xD My only way out was to combine the 2 I figured ;) 

Far right is the final one I went with: 

Number 1 got a lot of attention too, but it just didn't have enough to set it apart from what skins she already has. Onto the splash arts! 
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every skin comes with an awesome splash art, so I gotta try my best for Phantom Nami too! 
    Here's what I cooked up so far:

Very Sassy, nice profile. Is that a graveyard?
    I like it, but maybe it's not distinguishable enough as Nami. Her tail is not in the image after all. Even though I did keep a resemblance of her original design, only an attentive Nami main would tell its her I think. Theres a couple tings to fix about this version, but as a first draft it'll do.

This one is Definitely a whole lot more Nami Like. Tidal Wave of Lost Souls, Let's go!!
    The only issue I have with this one, is that it looks a bit similar to her original art (unintentionally!), even though she's holding her staff with only 1 hand, and her body is angled differently.. The Tidal Wave definitely Helped set it apart, but I'm afraid not everyone can immediately tell. 
    I'm scared it might cause issues due to the similarities.. but on the other hand, it does help with identifying Nami, and getting across that this is an Evil skin for her. 

So. I'm a little divided, once again. I like both, and I think the Tidal wave is my favorite, but I'm sill doubting if I should or not.

Maybe I'll try 1 or 2 more compositions and poses.

Let me know what your favorite is, and which I should (or definitely shouldn't) go for. A bit of opinion and feedback could be very helpful ^_^ 
  • TheIceWolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceWolves triangle
    I liked 1 but 2 is more suitable, and it looks badass  <3
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @TheIceWolves

I decided to go for a different comp altogether, because I didn't want to risk it being too close to the original artworks of Nami ^^  Still keeping the ghostly Tidal Wave idea of #2 though! 

More tail, more Nami ^-^ Will still change some things along the way, probably. The angle of her head for example feels too 'head on' for example for the low angle I'm trying to go for. But those are just small things, and unimportant for conveying the comp at this point in this particular case.

Hopefully I can finish this in time. I was a tad busy right after new years, and then got struck with a bad bad cold which took me out for a little more than a week! D:  
    Struggled a little with getting back into the flow and things of everyday life. 
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the cleaned up lines with a better value pass to keep as a reference when painting it up! ^_^ can't wait to get to coloring this!

I'll bring back the motion in the BG as I get further along in the image :D 

While i'm pretty much satisfied with this sketch, if you see any major flaws or things that just don't work well but can easily be fixed, feedback is welcome ^^
  • Neelem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neelem polycounter lvl 7
    I really like this one cant wait too see how it will turn ou!
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Neelem ! Me tooo! Gonna be a grind!

Played around with the comp a little. Zoomed in and changed the weapon to make it feel more intense as you see Nami more up-close. 
    I hope that worked as I intended! Will need to fix the hand holding the staff though but worry not, t will happen as I render ^_^
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! :D 
    First color and simple lighting pass!
    Also added more of a BG, hinting at some shadow isles type environment, with a quickly blocked in soul tidal wave placeholder. Creating a quick background really helps to set the mood of the image, as I was starting to dislike the image after the first pass, but adding this BG added a ton of depth that I felt was missing.

I'd really love to stream this image btw, but I'm honestly not sure if my pc can handle it at this point. I recently had to quick fix it, and the setup is far from optimal atm. I'm worried it'll stress and overheat my processor too much :( 
    Regardless this is my channel, and hopefully I'll be able to get a stream or two in if I butcher the quality a bit (sorry!) https://www.twitch.tv/anna_verhoog 
  • DavideScalia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavideScalia triangle
    cool cool cool!! wanna see this finished! 
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DavideScalia workin' on it! :D Glad you like it so far man ^-^
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for another WIP ^_^  Almost forgot taking one before going too deep into detailing (it's nice to see in between steps, from super simple to super detailed).
    Mostly focused on pushing the lighting and shading, as well as started to clean up a bunch of stuff and creating proper edges. All groundwork for a whole bunch of nice detailing to go on top soon!

• DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Goddamn I need this on live servers! xD
  • Supradip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supradip polygon
    Wow! Awesome progress, love the color rendering! Looking forward to more.. 
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DawnHeart hah! xD you're not the first to say that actually. Hopefully Riot will take the cue ;) (Dark nami skin pls)
    @Supradip Thanks! it's so mind boggling at times, so it's nice to hear people like it so far!

Here's another update:  
    Spent most the day working on her headdress, trying to make it more coherent and fitting to the rest of her design. It feels a bit like Karthus now imo, but I'm okay with that ^^ Glowy eyes effect will return at a later point!
    Added a whole bunch of other details and refinement, particularly on the armored parts. 
    Part of me regrets giving her all that metal trimming, it's breaking my brain!  But so worth tho. 

• RV_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RV_ triangle
    Really cool rendering !  though it was syndra at first. cuz of her face. Nami has a ronder face and eyes i think.
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RV_ Ah ye, good point. It does feel like Syndra, face wise. It's probably the eyes as you said. I'll try to play with the whole face some more for sure to try to get closer to Nami's likeness ^^  It'll be tricky with the mask and glowy eyes, but I'll try! 
    Thanks for pointing that out! 
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Update!

Moar details, fixed the anatomy of her arm holding the scythe/staff, fixed scythe/staff angle and proportions (made a little prop out of a wooden spoon xD  worked like a charm!) 

Trying to lay out the background and make it all a little darker and moodier, for that extra impact. The spirit Tidal wave is currently on 'hold' while I work out some environmental elements. Hopefully I can find a good way to paint them back in later ^_^ I kinda like it like this too actually.

• Cavins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cavins triangle
    Nami is one of my favorite supports and I think she has too many happy bright skins, so I'd buy this in an instant :love:
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cavins Me too man, I really hope Riot are working on a not so happy bright skin themselves for Nami ^_^  that would be really neat.

Anyways updates: 
    Make dem colours pop! With a buncha detailing all around.
    Not sure about the state of the tail yet, might revert back to a more solid form if it doesn't work with the soon to be tidal wave spirits :) 

• Cavins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cavins triangle
    I think it would look better if it was more solid near the tail, but wispier at the end like in the updated version :)
  • SpiritHide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpiritHide polygon
    Great! I like that atmosphere you've created! 
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just quickly leaving this here, gotta go to bed! 

Still a lot to do on this one :) a lot of final detailing and cleaning up of areas, maybe a final balancing of colors or light... xD 
    I better kick ass tomorrow! Had about.. 2 bad days I think >_< not the best timing. 
    Oh well!
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Made it to the end! Just uploaded all the files to Riot and finalized the submission ^_^ 

Here is how it turned out in the end: 

Thanks for stopping by :D and thanks for the feedbacks! It's been quite a push to get this done in the timeframe I had in the end (started late) but well worth it ^_^ So many good Submissions too! I'm reaaally looking forward to seeing what art pieces Riot will pick out from the masses that entered :smiley:

Welp, that's it I guess xD time to get back to work haha.
    Here's my artstation for anyone wanting to follow me btw: https://www.artstation.com/annaverhoog
    Figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it here! 

Had a good time doing this ^_^ it was a lot of fun. Thanks again guys! 
  • Cavins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cavins triangle
    It's absolutely stunning!  Amazing job <3<3
  • Silvarspark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silvarspark polycounter lvl 3
    I really like the rough color sketches. In the end you lost some readability by adding all these effects and little calm areas.
    Looks great.
  • Supradip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supradip polygon
    Wow lovely !! Great job ! best of luck :)
  • Hipporit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hipporit polygon
    Cool! Nicely done! Go Nami! =D
  • Myrmirada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :D  Late response from me hehe xD kinda just went hermit mode again once I was done. There's so many great entries, I'm doubtful of how far I'll get with Nami, but it was good to participate nonetheless :) Even just to see how much I still have to learn to become a part of the Riot art team, one daaayy~

I really like the rough color sketches. In the end you lost some readability by adding all these effects and little calm areas.
    Looks great.
    So true, that was one of the main struggles I had with the piece. I didn't want it to seem bland either, but I struggled finding the right balance. 
    In the end I didn't have enough time to experiment much or leave it for a few days to come back with fresh eyes. I started too late to have those luxuries. There's plenty I wanna change now xD 
    - That's probably why I haven't really come back here since, because I feel it's lacking in ways I wish I could've avoided. 

Oh well! :D 't was a good ride anyways ^_^ I'll keep your comment in mind for sure when I work on another Riot themed piece in the future. A bit of calm can bring even otherwise chaotic pieces together.