Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Rakan & Xayah - FINAL

HanoM
vertex
Offline / Send Message
HanoM vertex
Well this is it, my final Splash Art! It was so much fun to paint this, including all the challenges it brought with. I feel like I improved a lot on my painting process, as well as composition and color management. It may not be the most amazing splash ever, but I really like it and I'm happy with it; as artist Jake Parker said "finished, not perfect".

The spotlight here is on Rakan, and how he enjoys what he does. Obviously he won't engage without Xayah by her side, so that's also a big part of the painting. While she fights from far away, they both work as a team and take care of each other.

I hope like this as much as I liked painting it. Thanks for following my thread and best of lucks for all contestants!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there!! I am a big fan of Rakan and Xayah's design, so it felt only natural to do my piece about them.
At one brief moment in time I considered Miss Fortune as well, but I found two things about that idea
a) there ara a lot of splash arts of her, in all of her skins
b) my sketch feels veeeeeery weak

so, I'm definitely going with the lovebirds ;D This is what I've got so far.
Also, I haven't decided if they'll have thier standard or cosmis skins... I'll find out when I explore the colour rough

Replies

• HanoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HanoM vertex
    new Update

I've been working alittle bit on this piece, as I took a week off for vacations, but I'm narrowing my design to these 2.
    I want to display their team work, as in the left side, but I like the right background as well..... quite a choice to be made
  • HanoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HanoM vertex
    Update

after thinking and rewatching both champions spotlight videos, I decided to follow this path
    (yes, it looks messy right now)

I'm going with Rakan's Grand Entrance, and Xayah's Deadly Plumage, and to tie them together furthermore, each one has the other's shield.....because lovebirds XD  I feel confident to start refining lineart, facial features and such.
  • HanoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HanoM vertex
    more progress!

I already refined the lineart, and I have a general values sketch. I'm thinking that color-wise it will be somewhat like a mid-evening lighting.

• Auwren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auwren triangle
    Looks really cool so far! I'm loving that intense angle you're using. I like the idea of mid evening lighting, too, but with this grayscale I'm concerned that Xayah could get lost in the background..

Keep up the good work! I'm excited to see where this goes :)
  • HanoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HanoM vertex
    Flat Colors are Down!

just a simple and cleaner version of this piece, to get an idea of where it will head (yup, that forest looks quite bad now XD )

• HanoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HanoM vertex
    Auwren said:
    Looks really cool so far! I'm loving that intense angle you're using. I like the idea of mid evening lighting, too, but with this grayscale I'm concerned that Xayah could get lost in the background..

Keep up the good work! I'm excited to see where this goes :)
    Thanks a lot! I can see what you say with Xayah, I don't plan to relegate her to background, so that was a miss from my grayscale XD
  • HanoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HanoM vertex
    Hey guys!!!

I've been progressing on the splashart, it's proving to be quite fun but demanding. My approach is to paint a speific area or element, but with broad strokes just to get a good sense of color blending. No details for now. I'm also jumping back and forth between rakan and the background for now.... to get a mental break from painting each subject XD

• HanoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HanoM vertex
    Well, I guess the torret is done, at least until the vfx kick in!

I still need to work on Xayah, the grass, their shields and Xayah's feathers...... and obviously Rakans head XD
  • HanoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HanoM vertex
    hi guys!!!
    well, I've been working on this lovebirds this weekend, and I feel they are ALMOST done, still some things to do and fix (I'm repainting Rakan's torso)

I'm also working on the fx, to start working on bounce light, relfections and all that jazz

with this it starts to look a lot more like a mid-battle shot, with a lot of action (in my opinion)
    what do you guys think???

see you in the next post when there's even more stuff done
  • HanoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HanoM vertex
    well, I just posted my final splash art. It's a the top of this thread, so go up and check it out (only if you want!)