Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some toolbag 3 tests

Bigg__D
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
Glock 26, yes not totally accurate or true to the pistol as some detail is missing or different but I just got back into this about a month ago after 1+ year of not being able to do 3d stuff. And I was able to afford some better hardware this time so practicing substance painter as well. Texturing is really fun honestly but modeling I mean shit I feel so slow at it, I guess it will take time but I always felt slow at subd for some reason. Even sculpting in zbrush is fun because it feels like drawing & goes at a nice pace but poly modeling...man what can I say, any tips on improving speed? Thanks

Replies

• eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eCstatic polycounter lvl 14
    Are you modeling with Max? Learn all the shortcuts to your most used tools and with time and practice your speed will improve. Glock is looking good.
  • rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    Haha man i'm the opposite, I love poly modelling but sculpting just doesn't mesh well with me. Something about the lack of granular control in sculpting messes with me.

The one thing that jumps out to me about this model is the trigger guard. Should it be that square and angular? It just seems off compared to the rest of the model, like you didn't sub-d it.

For getting faster, practice is the only thing that can help you. Find some cheat sheets for your modelling program, and figure out what tools you use most often and learn the hotkeys for them. Personally I use Blender, and i'm not sure if other programs have a slightly different workflow, so take this with a grain of salt, but i'd learn your edge loop key, your transform keys (Transform, Rotate and Scale) along with your axis keys and local/normal settings for each axis, your vertex selection keys (Circle select, Edge loop select, select All/None) and your camera keys (Wireframe/Solid, Ortho/Perspectice, Left, Right, Top, Bottom, Front, Back).

Best of luck!

• Bigg__D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
    @rexol12
    @eCstatic

Thanks guys, yes am using Max. Haha its backwards yeah but honestly with zbrush it feels like drawing thats why maybe it feels comfortable to me.  And I dont have to worry about topology for long periods of time working which is nice, you can just focus on design or shapes. Really, its just like 5 main brushes, understanding masking & polygroups & dynamesh & that does most of the heavy lifiting whereas with poly modeling, theres so many things going on with edge flow, working with cylinders, low poly criteria vs high poly etc.

Maybe I'm overthinking it & certainly traditional poly environment is more familiar yeah I definitely been doing poly WAY longer than zbrush stuff. I think because recently I've integrated quad chamfer modifier & trying to abandon manual edge loop placement (except where its necessary) because in the long run it should make us faster since all we have to do is define some smoothing groups, add quad chamfer & basically it. 

Thanks for great feedback anyway, I will look into utilizing more & more hot keys.