Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[RIOT ART CONTEST] - ILLUSTRATION Snow Angel Morgana

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ItsAshree null

I got a moodboard started up for my new concept. I start off with a moodboard for inspiration and some reference actually. It helps me zone in on aspects I want. Instead of being influenced by anything else google has to offer. -eg so many cat photos with a face full of snow. 

Afterwards I get down to designing, I'll get some sketches out and i choose a nice silhouette. Then more designing and more rough working. adding a few things people would critique, then Voila I have a half finished champ. 

I decided that i'm going to focus on morgana as a yuki-onna. 
yuki-onna- Yokai or demon from Japanese folk lore. Spirit of a person who perished in the snow. Tales say she only targets males, some say she targets anyone and she has a baby. The baby grows heavier once you hold onto it. You eventually die from freezing. 
things to take away: dark, lonely, beautiful. Aspects that i tend to apply to morgana. 

I would love to add frost bitten features on the design as well. Her move set is a bind afterall. Q- frozen. W- frost burn. E- beautiful icy shield R- frozen wasteland, chains could be frozen. 

Anyway more to come. WIP for Decemver 18 2017. Will work on more later. 

Replies

• ItsAshree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ItsAshree null

The definition of Yuki-onna was looked up for inspiration and it was such a dark tale, i felt that it matched Morgana quite well. I tried to test silhouettes for her dress and felt that a kimono was synonymous to the yuki-onna tale, as it is japanese.. However, the ball gown style is something that i felt was very 'Morgana' So i tried to design a way for her to keep the dress. style in the end i scrapped the idea because the dark sash was kind of a focal point. It took away from seeing the character, too distracting. the design could be explored further with a light coloured Sash. 
    But i was running out of time, so i fixed the problem, by adding a dark gradient from the bottom of the dress. 
    It should be seen down in the finished piece. 
    My notes explored the fact that morgana is the type to show off more skin so keeping the collar portion of the kimono/yukata was kind of beneficial to me. 
    It gave me the opportunity to show off the frozen skin i wanted to demonstrate. 
  • ItsAshree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ItsAshree null

I did a few wing design ideas. From icicle designs, to frozen feathers, 
    I was mainly focused on the large snowflake idea so i fiddled with that idea some more when i took it to digital. 

Notes on the side suggest i use 'black ice' but i felt that it clashed too hard to the 'pure ice' look i was going for. I really wanted to focus on natural ice. pure and white. Though black ice would have been a good mix with Morgana. 
    I just felt it didn't work. 

• ItsAshree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ItsAshree null

just a couple rough sketches before i took it to digital so i knew what i wanted. 
    not really focused on proportion it was leisure doodles. But more exploration just so i kept my mind on the design. 
  • ItsAshree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ItsAshree null

Finished design. More work could be done to really finalize the design, but i just needed to design something so i could get into the illustration portion of this competition lol.
    Snow Angel Morgana. I sent it to a few of my friends gushing that league was releasing a new skin and i got their approval. I just wanted to know if it looked a little legit, I know my rendering is not the best, but I tried. 
    I told them the truth afterwards lol.

• ItsAshree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ItsAshree null

Picking out Composition ideas. Was dying actually. Heres my doll that i use to help with my posing. There were more poses honestly, i just got a little frustrated and didn't take photos. 
  • ItsAshree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ItsAshree null

Some sketches i wasn't exactly happy with... Couldn't find a happy medium.
  • ItsAshree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ItsAshree null

Then I drew this one day and i just got it. It fit the golden ratio and everything seemed to flow nicely towards the focal point. The champ. 
    Its a little dull, its definitely not an amazing composition, its pretty basic in my opinion. But it works and i stuck with it. 
  • DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    looks lovely! totally adding this to my favorites cant wait for your finished version *-*
  • ItsAshree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ItsAshree null
    so it took me a while, but I finally finished this up!

FIRST, it was like this and i thought, that id need to complete a few more tweeks before handing this in. 
    and here's the final piece. ..........
  • ItsAshree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ItsAshree null

Here is the final, at least before I touch it up again which i might do. 
    At least this is what i got for now. After a few days at working at it.