Home Career & Education

Artstation "job" offers (rant warning)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
yaschan polycounter lvl 7
I have received several offers through my Artstation profile to participate in game and animation projects. Most of these projects present themselves in a form of established company and have positions like "art lead" or "art director". However 100% of these requests I have got provide no concrete promise of any kind of salary, and participation of artists work in a premise of being paid in "when we get investors or crowdfunding". Some of them use false name. Some of these projects seem have dozens of artists who have left but whose art is still being shown and used.
Few days ago I was asked to work full time until spring with no written contract. Few months ago I was asked to model 1500 furnitures with hourly salary with no written contract.
At this point I would very much like to save everyone's time and block the requests somehow. 

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    You should probably report this to artstation as complaining on here will certainly not do anything.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Have you reported this issue too Artstation, prior to posting here?
  • honglong99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    honglong99 polycounter lvl 5
    Got it! Someone contacted me like that in Artstation. But Forum Artstation is poor, I only post Artwork and pass all requests. I understand why @yaschan post at here.

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    You will get those anywhere, If there is a good place to connect with artists then both serious and not so serious companies will gather around. I have gotten many serious AAA offers as well as a lot of spam, and I also use artstation to recruit artists, so there is a lot of recruiting going on, other factors decide who will be getting those offers but no matter what everyone will keep getting the not so serious offers.
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yaschan polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys. I will definitely bring future such requests to the attention of the Artstation. 
    Seriously. Some of the "recruiters" use a false name. I don't think that is a proper way to approach artists.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea like Jonas has said, its going to happen anywhere. with the advent of the internet it basically allows anyone to go into business for themselves, and unfortunately a lot of people who don't understand how to actually provide value to the world hop on board every day. Right now there is an epidemic of shotgun blast recruiters on linkedin and any other platform they can spam, where they are frantically just trying to sell leads to game companies, hoping to get a commission.

I would say a lot of new "recruitment agency's" are actually 1 or 2 people working from their basement in china or india and presenting themselves as an actual company. 99% of recruitment emails I never respond to if its a 3rd party looking to make a quick buck. Long term those people will lose anyways, not knowing how to create an actual business that provides value. I am actually shocked that middlemen businesses like that still exist, and would guess it is only a matter of time that industry implodes and is taken over by one or 2 companies who know how to market like it is actually 2018. (hint: facebook ads, instagram and content that provides value to attract clients/customers)

I'm not saying all recruiters are scammers/spammers, there are some actual ones that will go above and beyond for you, but anyone focused on making short term quick cash on potential commissions is going to lose hard in 2018.