Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First pbr asset

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
bystry polycounter lvl 3
Hi as in topic it will be my first pbr asset. I have some experience with 3d sculpting, architectural visualizations, and some handpainted 3d textures, but I never did something to use in a pbr based game. I want to try combining my skills and see what can I achieve. I'm going to do game asset based on the concept for a dishonored2 game. I'm using a blender for base mesh and retopo and UVs, ZBrush for sculpting, because I am quite familiar with this soft. New for me is substance painter where I'm going to bake normals and prepare textures and materials for the piece.
So far I did high poly mesh and some lo poly mesh, please tell me if you see some issues. For me it's working quite well, but I'm not as experienced in this field as you guys. Next step will be UV unvrapping and some tests to bake normals.

concept:

Replies

• bystry
    Offline / Send Message
    bystry polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, quite long since the last update but I have a bunch of images and question for you guys. I decided to give up on proper UV, since it's my first model I would rather focus on baking and create some nice material, I started adding some materials also. I think I need some more knowledge about proper baking before I will be able to optimize UVs and meshes.  So there is the first problem I stepped with this problem and I'm not sure how can I fix it. There are some surfaces that should be flat but program place normals like it will be round surface. I tried to mark hard edges and tried to play with smooth groups but I am not sure I understand enough to do it properly. Thanks for any feedback.

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks good to me
  • bystry
    Offline / Send Message
    bystry polycounter lvl 3
    It was some issues with normals, I added some extra sharp edges and now it seems to be fine. there is final version.

modemode
  • Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Looks very good, the few things I'll mention is first that the edges (meaning your beveling) should be rounder to pick it up on a normal map better, this is a bit subjective how much you want but this looks to be bordering on way too thin.
    I'd recommend looking into proper practice for laying out uv islands and hardening edges, if your surface was glossy you'd see levels in your normal map with the way you lay it out atm, this project doesn't seem to suffer any visible problem with it but in the future it'll be good to know as you might run into problems with that. (the long and short of it is that you wanna have hard edges around flat planes so that your normal map doesn't have to do so much work to compensate for the mesh normal).
    The last thing i'd point out is that while the brass looks perfect, the metal on the blade looks a bit cheap, I think you could give that another pass and get a better result, I like the grime in but the sort of uniform scratching and the roughness that looks a bit like it comes from a straight grunge map could use some work.