Home Technical Talk

Maya IK handle problem

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
KAPOZ polycounter lvl 3
Hello. I have some problem with rigging in maya.
I'm setting IK handle for leg, but its not work berry well.

Its working like these picture. I did reset joint orientation, and reduce joint quantity.
I don't know why IK handle work like these. I did checked its rotate plane solver.
I hope i know the solution.

I'm Korean, so my English can be awkward.
Thanks!

Replies

• Knyttet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knyttet node
    I think before you create the IK handle, make sure the knee-joint is a bit further forward along the Z-axis. The knee-joint should be a bit further along the Z-axis than the hip- and foot-joint. This way the IK-handle will bend the right way I think :) You could also use a Pole vector to further control the rotation of the hip joint.
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    You can create your joints in a straight way. In order to have your leg bend in the right direction, bend the leg in the desired way and copy the rotation values of the hip and knee into the preferred angle attribute of the joints. Now straighten the joints again and create the IK. The joints should now twist around the preferred angle.
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Just want to echo what the other guys said, and add that for the legs maybe use IKRP solver and point it forward to prevent knee moving in any undesired direction (you may be using it but the upper leg joint has no visible IKRP gizmo :) )

Just now realized that i may be saying the same thing as knyttet because of his mentioning of pole vector constraints... if thats the case disregard :D
  • KAPOZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAPOZ polycounter lvl 3
  • KAPOZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAPOZ polycounter lvl 3
    Really thanks for your help!