Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Enter/Exit Cover WIP

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
Hey,

Always wanted to do a cover based anim. I didn't want to do a 'vanilla' cover anim so I tried to throw some acting in there and explore some acting choices since poses and acting choices are the things I need to work on.

Right now, I'm trying to nail down the main keys and make them as strong as possible. Haven't paid attention to the timing yet so ignore that for now. Any notes are appreciated.

https://syncsketch.com/playground/4d7504ed47a24aec9a5da491d2ff24c2#303060

Thanks.

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    How confident is this character supposed to be? I love the big breathing before the exit because it makes him look like he is having it build up his courage to exit.  On the other hand,  the contrapasto pose (ex. F250) look quite relaxed and confident.  Both are cool,  but right now they don't seem to tell the same story. 
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He isn't supposed to be super confident, more frantic than anything else. Sort of a retired agent who has let himself go. 

Is that the only pose that doesn't fit with the character?  It's something that I did in my ref which I pushed for this anim but I can easily tone it down. 
  • tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    After looking at it more I think the issue is that I can't sense his motivation in that pose.  There is a similar pose on F185 but he's looking around the corner, and that works for me. I think it would help to have his head look up like he was staring into space for an answer to his problem, or look to screen left like he's checking his back,  or if he's going to stare forward have him catching his breath, something like that. It just feels like he isn't focused on his target in that pose. 

This is there only pose that stick out to me. 
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I blocked in my extremes, mainly the contacts. Next up, give the poses a clean-up pass. Then, put all my holds, overshoots, settles, etc in and re-time the shot. I'll be constantly adjusting the timing as I work but I want to give it a preliminary timing pass before adding all the breakdowns.

Any notes on the poses/mechanics is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

https://syncsketch.com/playground/d688d4e0fdc74695831af9bf1295c518#306133
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    left you some minor notes, its a fun piece :D
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow said:
    left you some minor notes, its a fun piece :D
    Thanks, I need to get back to this piece but job application stuff got in the way. Going to get back to this soon. Thanks for the notes. :)