Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Space Witch Zoe !

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
gloomyuu polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone! 

I'm participating in this contest in hopes to challenge myself and learn as well since I'm really new to concept art (and polycount for that matter). LOL was always interesting to me from an artistic perspective, the splash screens for the characters inspired me to try and something similar.

After a few hours of sketching and collecting references, I've decided to settle with the witch Zoe theme/skin idea!

Hope to get some feedback, and will be posting more progress soon!

Replies

• Myshuchibi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Myshuchibi null
    Nice! i like you idea! ♥ 
  • sugoilord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sugoilord triangle
    I LOVE THIS SO MUCH AAAAHHHHH
    I love little witchy girls <3
  • gloomyuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! i like you idea! ♥ 
    sugoilord said:
    I LOVE THIS SO MUCH AAAAHHHHH
    I love little witchy girls <3
    aa thank you so much i hope i will be able to translate it well in the painting process!
  • gloomyuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

whoa ok, so this happened lol
    after an hour or so into the painting, i realized that the perspective i chose didn't work as well as i thought. soo i changed it a lot and also started to add more details on the face. the pose doesn't seem to be as dynamic as before tho... so might decide to redraw the body, but we'll see. hopefully, i can figure something out haha
    just i thought i should do a little update! wish me luck!
  • sugoilord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sugoilord triangle
    I think your original sketch had a bit more personality that got lost in the more rendered version. She's a cheeky little girl, a bit dorky and bratty even... you had it down in your sketch! Pose definitely feels stiff. 

Also, your values need some more careful grouping. Your staff sticks out a lot but it might not be a good thing to do as Zoe has no staff. 
    Be careful what you're drawing attention to :)
  • MaoAkari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaoAkari polycounter lvl 3
    She is totally incredible!!
    Try to leave an emote from your sketch, it was so good
  • gloomyuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaoAkari said:
    She is totally incredible!!
    Try to leave an emote from your sketch, it was so good
    thank you! yes, i agree, the original sketch had more of a clear emotion!
    sugoilord said:
    I think your original sketch had a bit more personality that got lost in the more rendered version. She's a cheeky little girl, a bit dorky and bratty even... you had it down in your sketch! Pose definitely feels stiff. 

Also, your values need some more careful grouping. Your staff sticks out a lot but it might not be a good thing to do as Zoe has no staff. 
    Be careful what you're drawing attention to :)
    thank you so much for taking the time to comment ! and i completely agree with you, i will definitely try to fix the pose, look at more references. also thank you so much for the value tip, i didn't notice it myself !

12-10 update

also sorry for a late reply ! i've been quite busy with school projects, but i will have more time to work on this piece again.
    this is what i did very quickly while trying to follow your suggestions, next post will be an improvement i hope !

still stiff and wonky aaa
  • ajramsey28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    aww what a cute Idea I love it!
  • gyllenhaal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gyllenhaal polycounter lvl 3
    I think the tongue fixed it, before she was looking lot like jinx lol. I like this one and the colors are perfect. 
  • gloomyuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aww what a cute Idea I love it!
    thank you lots !
    I think the tongue fixed it, before she was looking lot like jinx lol. I like this one and the colors are perfect. 
    haha, yup noticed that too and thank you for the support!
  • gloomyuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, i'm back with an update haha
    i decided to try and paint in black and white instead of going ahead with all the colors for the first time;; and ahh it was a challenge : /
    but i noticed that i finished my rendering a lot faster and could move on, which is a great thing to learn and keep in mind for the future !
    now the values look like this; 

i was super excited to add the colors lol so the piece looks like this rn
    i would love feedback on it since i feel like most of it is near finished, but i might be overlooking a lot ;;

hope my comp didn't mess up all the colors lol

• Cavins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cavins triangle
    I'd buy this skin in a heartbeat :love:
  • gloomyuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cavins said:
    I'd buy this skin in a heartbeat :love:
    aa thank you ! glad to hear that !
  • gloomyuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

hey ! i'm back with an update : just polished some things, not much changed, but hope to get some last minute feedback if possible !
    if not i think im pretty much done with it as far as i see it.
    this contest really made me push myself a lot. i've never done something like this and it's my first time rendering a piece this way, i'm used to doing textured illustrations instead of "semi-realism", but i couldn't wait to try working in this style. i learned a lot during this process, one thing especially - thumbnailing is extremely important haha ! thanks for the ones who helped me and gave feedback and support !
  • Reaniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reaniki null
    Cool art. (right hand is strange, but colors very good)