Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Narrative

Winter’s Bite: A Freljordian Tale

TossMe
null
Offline / Send Message
TossMe null

"I can help you find the one you seeeek. The one who butchered your clan."

The frosty edge to her silky voice made Tryndamere uneasy. Still, he hadn't found a lead in weeks and he sensed powerful magic from her. Perhaps she really did know...

"Kill the man near the canyon and I’ll help you."

Houses ablaze...blood soaked haystacks...The thought was ever present. Wind snuck through the cracks of what clothing Tryndamere had, but he didn't notice. Fiery hatred warmed his flesh.

"Fine, I'll do it," he growled, balling his fists, "but if you’re lying, you will regret it."

He turned back to face her; emptiness greeted him. Not giving the absence much afterthought, he made haste to prepare for the journey.

*Later that month*

After a grueling trek ‘cross the Freljord, Tryndamere reached his destination – Howling Abyss. Legend spoke of an epic battle fought on the remaining bridge spanning the expanse. It was hard to breathe.

“The air is thin here.”

A man appeared beside him. He did not expect to find his target so easily, or in such good spirits…

“You come looking for BRAUM!?!? OH HOHO, what can I do for you, my friend!?”

Accompanying the burly, thick-accented man were more poros than Tryndamere had ever seen. They were a rare sight during wartime, and yet they flocked to this man by the dozens.He carried only food supplies and a large door being used as  some sort of…makeshift shield?  The intricate markings carved on the piece did little to add interest to his wares.

“Resources must be scarce.”

Tryndamere mused as he drew his sword,

“I’m probably doing him a favor.”

His slash missed the man’s stomach by mere inches.

“Woah, hey there fella! If you want tussle, I have ornery pal who frequents tavern.” “Why don’t you look for fight there?” Incited, Tryndamere kept swinging.  

This time the man was ready.

Tryndamere fumed. He had shattered dozens of shields, and yet this….STUPID DOOR refused to yield.

His swings became erratic as he tried to break defense to no avail, causing further outrage. He was too close to vengeance to stop now.

“SQUEEAK!!!”

Time stopped as both men digested what had just occurred.

Braum knelt down and held the poro in his much larger hands. He gingerly set the animal down on pure snowbed - fitting for the innocent creature. Crimson tainted the ground as Braum covered wound with cloth.

Tryndamere felt a momentary twinge of remorse, but it passed. Time was of the essence if he was to find retribution. He raised his sword to remove head from body.  

"No more Mister nice guy...."

Braum began to shake violently. He lashed out with surprising speed.

Tryndamere recognized the look. Primal rage, he was all too familiar with. Still, he was taken aback from the deviation of his first impressions of the man. As the two collided, sword met shield with a ferocious clash.

TWOK!

THUMP!

No advantage.

TWOP!

The third strike managed to knock the shield aside. An opening! He swung with every fiber.

Tryndamere stumbled to the ground and tried gathering himself. He knew the man couldn’t have possibly thrust his shield, yet a powerful concussive force struck him.

KRRRRT!

The shield caused a sickening crunch as it was brought down upon elbow. His arm did not hurt as much as his pride in the moment, but Tryndamere knew the damage was severe. He would be lucky to regain use of the arm, let alone wield weapon.

He expected a finishing blow, but Braum had vanished! A shimmering glint of green and black caught the corner of his eye.

“What are you doing here!?”

"Fool! You’re so blinded by rage that you'll believe anything that offers revenge. You still don't realize you've been deccceived”, the ice witch Lissandra sneered.

“Ashe and the others will be much easier to kill with you gone. I was hoping you would take Braum first–he is a real thorn in my sssside - but you will do for now.”

Tryndamere’s eyes ignited. Furious at the witch as well as himself for being easily fooled, he rose to his feet. She would not strike him down on his knees. He glared, wielding his two handed sword in one good arm defiantly, an impressive feat of strength.

Unfazed, a flurry of jagged daggers erupted from Lissandra’s cold hands as she let out a cackle. Still dazed, there was little time to react. Tryndamere braced himself for the worst.

A thousand icicles chimed upon the Earth. Opening his eyes, he saw Braum firmly positioned between him and the witch.

The witch howled. An icy claw reached forth from seemingly nowhere to claim her prize.

“I will NOT be denied MY VISION!”

Braum ferociously slammed the ground with his shield. Nothing seemed to happen…

Then, a thunderous clap!!!

A flock of crows took to the skies as a fissure sprung forth from the impact. Snow and rock were flung as the Earth was torn asunder. An inhuman shriek echoed the canyon walls as Lissandra fell.

Then, silence. That was the last thing Tryndamere remembered when darkness took hold.

*Some time later*

“Ahh, you’re awake.” “You are brave to face witch alone like that. Also, I am sorry for elbow. I made splint to help you!"

"It seems right arm will be lot stronger than left from here on out, but you live another day!” Braum continued merrily.

His tone then took a serious turn:

“Don’t let me see you near poro again unless you want reminder of what Winter’s Bite feels like.”

The moment passed as the man turned cheerful again.

“Here is food for trip home.” “Today, we fought as enemies; Tomorrow, we may fight as brothers!”

He then disappeared into the fog that had settled across the bridge.Taking heed of the warning, Tryndamere stumbled North. After today, he could really use a drink.