Home Technical Talk

UV packing software - what better?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Geekson polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys. As you may know - packing UV's isn't the funniest part of the job. I personally used IPackThat (Indie) a lot, but now when I'm working in the office, I need to update license to commercial or choose another option. Also, i just can't use it there (doesn't work on Windows 10) and it seems that creator just abandoned it.

Therefore, I ask you to share opinions about soft which you are using for packing, whether it script (like UV-Packer for 3ds max) or a stand-alone application like Unfold3d. I also heard that new Maya is pretty good in packing so there are plenty of options. 

Thanks for attention and sorry for grammar.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technical questions belong in Technical Talk instead of General Discussion. I'll move this for you.

• Westley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Westley vertex
    Hello, Geekson I use 3D Coat for my UV unwrapping, and packing it is absolutely incredible and does everything I need check it out in a trial. The auto UVing tools are not bad either most of the time I auto UV my model in 3D Coat then fix a few errors, auto pack, then organize the shells the way I want them and I'm good in about 5 to 10 minutes depending on the complexity of my model.