Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Recent Work (Elven Noble)

rogermein1
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rogermein1 polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone

Haven't posted to the forum in awhile but I wanted to show some personal work I've been doing this past year.  

This is a robot character I did earlier in the year. I wanted to create a unique looking robot that had a lot of minute detail but had seen it's fair share of wear and tear. The hair is based from the tentacles in Spider Man 2. Final render done in Marmoset Toolbag

Here's are the main beauty shots:

Here's the breakdown of the character:

I've also been working on a set of Elven Armor recently.  Still in the design phase but this is what I have so far:

Still working on the armor detail but any feedback to improve it is always appreciated.  Thanks!

Replies

• wormo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    wow, awesome. hope I never have to meet here haha. incredible amount of detail...
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @wormo

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

rogermein
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    You do some incredible detail and texture work, @rogermein1! I can't begin to think of anything very helpful to add based on your current work, but after looking at some of your other characters on ArtStation I think it would be awesome to see you tackle a character with more of a funky silhouette.

With your A.I. Robot and Twi'lek, it's nice to see the hair tentacles and lekku breaking things up from the usual human form, but something really clunky or super thin would be great to see with your details and textures. 

As a big fan of your stuff and style I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Elven Armor, and good luck!
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @dGreenberg

Thank you!  I've been thinking of doing something completely out of the human form.  But that will have to wait until the Elven Armor is done.  Will update soon!

rogermein
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

It's been awhile, but I've finally finished the Elven Armor I been working and wanted to share it on the forum.  The full character is an elven noble and I designed it to practice modelling workflows.  My goal was to create a suit of armor that was lavishly decorated but still practical for actual fighting. Because she is an elf, I added a lot of leaf/flower motif to the design. I chose the dragon as her house emblem. 

All the images can be found on my artstation page: https://www.artstation.com/brianchan

Hope you guys like how it turned out!

rogermein
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some WIP images from the project:

• rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more breakdown:

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Wow. 

@rogermein1 wonderful work man! The level of quality is astonishing. Also makes me a little anxious just thinking how you managed to keep all the detailed pieces organized for a bake like that! 

I see you tackled the armor uv's into chunks which would help some. But how did you organize the finer detail on the High Poly, your subtool palette must have been hard to work with.

I can't get over the amount of intricate details you have put in. Awesome work!!
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @bkost

Thanks, glad you like it.  Baking used to be pretty tough, but with Marmoset Toolbag you can group the elements in your mesh.  This makes it much easier to bake multiple things at once without overlap in your cages.  

The High Poly was pretty resource intensive so I usually had individual ZBrush projects for each component (i.e. One file for Upperbody, one for Lowerbody etc.)  It also helps to create insert mesh brushes to add the heraldric motifs onto the armor.  After high poly, I used the decimation master to group all the elements together in one file.

Hope that helps, thanks again!  
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    Really nice stuff (and always dig breakdowns).
    Love the details you got going on, would try and get some cleaner emptier areas to balance out all the noise, give the eyes a place to rest. But super cool detailing, I gotta get on that level.
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @Nizza_waarg

Thanks, glad you like the detail!  Yeah, there is a lot of rust in the armor which does strain the eye.  I thought about making the armor clean but I also wanted her to look battle hardened.  I'll need to tone it down for my next character like you said.  

rogermein