Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest 2017] Reaper Camille

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
LoganFeliciano greentooth
Hey everyone! Already seeing some dope ideas and great starts with the other participants, loving it! I spent some time trying to figure out which champion to use for this illustration and what skin. I've always had a strong affinity toward Diana, Fiora, and Azir. One of the more recent champions, Camille though stood out to me as her design is sleek and I like her kit, backstory, and overall presence. With the contest allow the limitless option of selecting preexisting or a new skin together I decided to choose a category that overtly touches on Camille's themes as a character. She's a sleek, secret, blade wielding assassin, that does the dirty work from behind the shadows, and is also elegant and almost regal while doing it. Being a fan of the more darker themes I chose of the options I allotted myself to go for a Reaper/Angel of Death skin theme. Thanks for viewing and let's see where this goes!

Replies

• LoganFeliciano
    Offline / Send Message
    This was my brainstorm node sheet. It was really tough to nail down an idea. I felt like a kid in a candy story thinking, that's cool let's do that one, and that one, and that one! Ultimately deciding on the Angel of Death/Reaper theme.
  • LoganFeliciano
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few preliminary color comp sketches. I spent a while looking at League splash art looking for the "juiciness" that makes league art, league art. Besides the visual style, composition-wise, it's all about the angles, and the simplification or iconicness that makes a League splash art.

In Camille's case specifically, not only are both her splash arts on walls, but there's a heavy use of diagonals. Just on composition alone it exemplifies this sense of elegance, motion, and precision with the use of those angles.

Here are some prelim sketches. More of these to come, as well as more focus on the actual design of the skin.

• CobaltCC
    Offline / Send Message
    CobaltCC polycounter lvl 2
    I absolutely love this concept omg. The third thumbnail stood out to me the most because it shows off her legs in action which are a central part of her character, and the backlight almost gives her that angelic look which contrasts with the reaper look of her design. I think you could do a lot with the light reflections in that one.
  • LoganFeliciano
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @CobaltCC That one was a favorite for mine as well. Not completely settled on the design, which I'll be exploring further, but I dig the angle of the shot and showcase of the blades. It's probably my favorite aspect of her design.

Jumping into the design for the skin, I want to approach a bit more methodical so I analyzed Camille's design when it comes to shape language as well as did word associations for both Camille, as well as for the word Reaper to try to explore as much as possible.

Afterward I created a mood board for the general look and feel of the design. I love the other worldly feel of high fashion, and it could make for some fun explorations of design.

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Really liking the second sketch of yours, if only it could be made a bit more dynamic with some angle change. It's a bit too side on right now. Maybe push the perspective so we're seeing he even more from below. Whatever you decide, looking forward to more.