Home Adobe Substance

Multiple sized bricks with equal spacing? (example image included) - Substance Designer

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Irkie500 vertex
I am working off a different reference image at home but the principal is the same here. I cant for the life of me figure out how to combine multiple sized bricks similar to this image http://www.lughertexture.com/images/textures/details/bricks_1/stone_bricks_6/medieval_old_wall_18_20120516_1948027204.jpg

I tried using a tile sampler node with multiple inputs using "shape" nodes as my input images, but if I adjusted the scale too far the distance between the bricks (or the amount of grout in this case) was way too uneven. I have seen other examples of substances where people have done, I just don't know how.

Is this the case of using multiple tile random nodes just blended together to get the end result?

Thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction!

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    use shape Square, don't have any grout initially, have high luminance variation, and use edge detect. Simple example here (combined two tile generated shapes, but not necessary), Edge detect will give you consistent grout.

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    One potential problem you may encounter with edge detection is when adjacent tiles inevitably share the same value under various random seeds. To fix this you can remap your values into ranges that will make them all unique.

So say for the above example: You would remap one Tile set into range 0-0.5 and the other into 0.51 - 1 (or whatever minimal increment above 0.5) and then combine, edge detect, voila.
  • Irkie500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irkie500 vertex
    use shape Square, don't have any grout initially, have high luminance variation, and use edge detect. Simple example here (combined two tile generated shapes, but not necessary), Edge detect will give you consistent grout.

Thank you! I knew it was something simple like that I was missing!somedoggy said:
    One potential problem you may encounter with edge detection is when adjacent tiles inevitably share the same value under various random seeds. To fix this you can remap your values into ranges that will make them all unique.

So say for the above example: You would remap one Tile set into range 0-0.5 and the other into 0.51 - 1 (or whatever minimal increment above 0.5) and then combine, edge detect, voila.
    For the calibrating the ranges is there a specific node for that already, or would that be done with a histogram range or levels node? Thanks for the tip!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Yes, good call somedoggy.
    Irkie you can do this with a Levels node
  • Irkie500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irkie500 vertex
    Yes, good call somedoggy.
    Irkie you can do this with a Levels node