Home Technical Talk

Bake textures from a batch of high/low poly assets/props

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
angelix polycounter lvl 6
Hi! I am looking for some tool which I can generate all the textures (normal, ao, curvature, position, thickness, etc...) from a batch of low and high poly assets. Is it that possible? I have tried the Butchtools Script but it is not what I am looking for, because this script allready ask you for the normal and height map. 

I wonder how the big studies bake their maps in a batch method.

I hope I was clear, and sorry for my english.

Thank you guys :)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Xnormal can be setup to run in batch mode iirc. Here we use 3ds Max in batch mode to bake things. 

Either way, requires a bit of development effort. Need to standardize inputs, and refine output requirements, to get reliable results.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Substance batch tools were designed and are used for precisely this purpose.

I wrote a little wrapper program for them in c# that does my bakes for me and I know there are a few others floating around. 

The new automation toolkit makes this sort of thing a breeze though so I'd expect to see all sorts pop up for download over the coming months

Practically speaking,  you'd be surprised how little use the ability to bake everything with one click  is in production - the bottleneck is almost all human input (setting parameters/testing results etc)  rather than the volume of assets.
    It's great if you need to bake everything again for some reason but I've yet to see that happen mid project..