Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot 2017 Art Contest] [WIP] Winter Wonder Syndra

Hi everyone!
 I've always loved the winter skins, especially Winter Wonder Lulu, but there aren't that many out there that involves poros as well. Everyone loves poros! They even got their own environment. So I got to thinking: who else can use poros in their abilities? Or at least have them for a companion. Syndra throws orbs at people...poros look like orbs, why not combine best of both worlds? So I'll be creating a new skin where Syndra can use her powers to control these adorable creatures.

Replies

• Kiki_Takahashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started out with doing some thumbnails of what the splash art will look like. I really wanted to show Syndra throwing one of the poros towards the viewer and I decided that the lower left corner composition worked well. The whole piece is balanced, with Syndra being the focal point (and hopefully the lighting will make her a stronger focal point than what I have now).

• Keiraya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keiraya node
    I'm a bit torn by this. Syndra has a "Snow Day" skin as it is, and it feels a bit brutal to the Poro considering her skills. I'm imagining her throwing 6 poros face first into someone aggressively.
  • Kiki_Takahashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keiraya said:
    I'm a bit torn by this. Syndra has a "Snow Day" skin as it is, and it feels a bit brutal to the Poro considering her skills. I'm imagining her throwing 6 poros face first into someone aggressively.
    Yeah, I knew that she has a Snow Day skin, but I felt like that skin wasn't...Syndra? (If you get what I mean). The design that I made for her costume is a little more snow queen like, rather than a snow outfit. As for the Poros, I did think that at first, but then Howling Abyss did have a mode at one point where everyone was throwing Poros at each other lol.
  • Kiki_Takahashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here's an update on how the skin's going! I know that Syndra has a snow day skin already, but I want to redesign that skin. It's a little different than a snow day outfit and seems more like a Winter Wonderland outfit, hence why I named this skin Winter Wonder Syndra! After tweaking with different costume designs, I've chosen to go with the last (to the right) design.
  • Kiki_Takahashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got back from visiting family, getting back to work on this piece! Here's some more updates and progress pictures. There's a date above each piece to show when I did it and an explanation of what each progress is.

12-15-17   The basic sketch of the final composition that I chose.

This was the reference that I took to use for her arm. Since it's foreshortened, I wanted to use a reference to help me.

12-16-17   Cleaned up the line work and added in a little of the background. Also adjusted the pose a bit.

12-16-17   Added in the values before jumping into color. I wanted to see how the lighting would be in the scene and if would be readable. Doing the values also helps out because I can focus on how each section would read and be rendered without worrying about color.

• Kiki_Takahashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    12-29-17   Added in the base value of what the overall piece would have looked like. I had an idea already of what color scheme Syndra would look like, but I'm still tweaking it around slightly. The colorful dots that are around her are just color swatches that are either for her, or colors that I want to try using on her.

1-3-18   Started rendering the piece (mainly just Syndra lol). I started playing around with the different colors in her clothing and what color works for what section. The one part that took the longest was her skin because I couldn't get the color just right. Not to mention that the base color that I had for her skin in the previous update was a pale skin tone lol So I ended up using different (more on the red side) skin tones, lowered the opacity and just did a glaze over her current skin. I kept doing this until I was somewhat happy with it, and I will be going back to her skin and working on it more...I just need to work on another section of her before I get too tunneled vision with one section lol

1-11-18   Worked on the background and her ice crown a bit and I made her outfit a slight shade of purple. The previous colors didn't work well because they didn't have any hint of the other color in them (if that makes any sense XD)...so they just seemed like their own color and didn't work together as a whole piece. Still haven't worked on her skin yet, but I'll get there soon lol
  • Kiki_Takahashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Alright, got some good progress to show! I managed to get her skin fixed up (especially her chest...man was that part difficult because of the shapes and how things conform to her chest). I added more strands to her hair to make it seem less clumped. It's still clumpy at the moment, and I will be going back to it and refining it a little more. Finished the background, and now I need to refine Syndra!
  • Kyle_Ryu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyle_Ryu node
    I love that Stretched Poro XD