Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Normals from DDO to Maya problem

Mightrian
null
Hey guys,

so i did my first Zbrush sculpt, made it low poly, baked the normals with Xnormal, textured it a bit and then exported as srgb for Maya Arnold with Quixel. After that I used the bump map of my object in maya with the Xnormal File, but unfortunately I get weird artifacts. In 3DO it works fine and even in Maya it works without seams when set to bump. When I set it to tangent space normals I get the artifacts at the UV borders. I made a screenshot. Maybe someone knows how to deal with this. 

Best regards 
Adrian

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hi Adrian!

Unfortunately, this appears to be an issue more suited to the Technical Talk subsection. We can't really offer troubleshooting for 3D modeling packages that we don't develop in-house. I'm sure there's some Maya users who might know what this issue is if you'd like to transfer this post over. It's unlikely to be any issue related to DDO as DDO only exports properly-calibrated textures based on what you provide to it. 

If you run into an issue with the Suite itself, please, let me know here and I'll see what I can do to take care of it ASAP! :)
  • Yabusaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yabusaka null
    There are 2 very common mistake when you import normal map to Maya.
    1. when you load the texture to MAYA, it will automatically color correct the image to sRGB color space. You need to set color space of the texture to "raw" instead of "sRGB".
    2. MAYA uses OpenGL normal map. If you export normal map as DirectX normal map from Xnormal, you need to invert Green channel to match OpenGL normal map format. 
  • Mightrian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mightrian null
    Thank you very much, that did the trick :)