Home Career & Education

What does the 3D modelling/Gaming industry expect from a person?

Etherblock
null
Hello.

I'm currently a third year student at university, I am looking to start my portfolio and I need some help.

Here's some of the things i've done at university:

Zbrush And Maya: I have worked in maya quite a bit and know my way around the software, there's still a lot of things i could learn as i am by no means an expert, and with zbrush, i've only used that a few times to refine my models that I created in Maya. I've done just a bit of sculpting. 

Houdini: At the moment we are learning houdini, i'm not sure if this is the industry standard or not, but my knowledge of houdini is at the low end. 

obviously there's a lot more things we learnt over the past few years, but I do not think they help with 3D modelling as much. Things like NukeX, Adobe CC, sound design, Year 1 was mostly Camera work, I've done some 2D animation but at a very low quality imo, i really do not like 2D at all. 

I'm looking to improve my skills and make a portfolio to become a 3D artist, I mainly want to get into games and create characters for games and make the environment for games (level designer). the Genre of the game doesn't matter to me at all.

Just looking for some advice and tips to get started and what websites to use to make a portfolio and such. If you need clarification on anything just let me know and i'll do my best. Thanks in advance!

Replies