Home Adobe Substance

Subs Painter - Mesh having dark areas when Importing, baked normal comes out black.

Darkcon
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Darkcon polycounter lvl 2
I'm having an issue when I start a new project in Substance Painter.

Imported mesh comes out with dark areas like these, I'm not sure whats the cause.

Here are my UV's

Thanks for the help, hope to hear from all of you soon!

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    You mesh is probably not very on the part, maybe because you have vertex normals that are almost zero. If you reimport your own mesh into a new scene in your 3D Software, how does it look ?
  • Darkcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkcon polycounter lvl 2
    Froyok said:
    You mesh is probably not very on the part, maybe because you have vertex normals that are almost zero. If you reimport your own mesh into a new scene in your 3D Software, how does it look ?
    For the first model (the one with the black areas) I used smoothing groups to unwrap it, then when I was done I exported both high and low (exported form MAX 2017) as OBJs. I then made a Subs Painter project and when I imported the low-poly model to begin baking I noticed the black areas in it. I wasn't sure if it was a bug in Painter or if it was my unwrap or maybe my smoothing groups?

I ended up re-modeling it all together and it came out fine. I did another model (the same one but copied it) and used symmetry to change it more, unwrapped it and exported as OBJ both high and low, made a new Subs Painter project for it and tired to bake the normals on it but I started getting artifacts in the bake.

But for the second remodel I didn't unwrap by smoothing groups. Is it possible that smoothing groups effects the areas of a model in Painter that result in a black painted area?

Sorry for not adding pictures I'll def update later on today.