Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Character Art - Brand Redesign

Musicalpringle
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Musicalpringle polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys!

Excited to become a part of this contest!

Decided to go about a redesign for one of the oldest champs in league, Brand!
I think it is gunna be important i get the initial design/concept spot on before i start moving forward with the 3D, so i willl make sure to spend due time on that and hopefully with your guys feedback and make something kickassssssss :smiley:

A little initial concept.
crits and all feedback encouraged!!

Replies

• Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage polycounter lvl 5
    Your concept looks to maintain the appearance of the seafaring marauder Kegan Rodhe, that Brand claimed as his vessel. With recent reveals in the LoL Universe page, such as Brand originating from the Shuriman sarcophagus that now contains Xerath, his interactions with Nasus and Renekton, and mysterious past connection to Ryze. I think it would be really interesting to steer your design away from Riot's current Human Torch.

I'd say keep trying different iterations of him, how he might shift from region to region in origin, etc.
    Personally, I think the idea of seeing Brand as a sort of fire djinn of Shurima would be a very interesting change from his current design. 
  • Musicalpringle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo, thanks for the input Carnage!

i totally didn't know about the LoL universe page!

Nice idea about a fire djinn of Shurima, i'll definitely explore those themes and also have a good dig through the Universe page to try and find some more lore i could build off! :smiley:
  • Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem! I wish you the best, and can't wait to see what you can come up with. Brand has a lot of unexplored potential for sure, even though he still needs some updated lore outside of being referenced in the lore of other champions. 
  • Musicalpringle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Concept sketch i got done at lunch today. 

Trying to explore brands origin using the small amount of lore to bounce ideas out. The idea for this one is that brand originally was grand magus for a emperor of Shurima. He managed to find a fragmented world rune and had been trying to unlock its power. in desperation he grafted as much of the shattered rune into his own skin as he could. A burst of violent flame and fire welled within him. The magi got the power he so desperately clawed for at a price, a never ending thirst for destruction. 

gunna play with a few more themes whenever i can steal some time. Crits welcome!

• Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an interesting turn. I really look forward to seeing how your concept develops.