Home Technical Talk

How to bake overlapping objects seperately

McDev
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
McDev polycounter lvl 2
Hi, maybe this has been asked often but I also want to ask for the latest software updates.

What I want to do is to bake seperated meshes (lowpoly + highpoly) only against each other but keep the highpolys influencing each other. So that I also get the AO for instance of surrounding elements.

Therefore seperating the elements like an explosion view doesn't work. I read that MAX supports MaterialID seperation but I don't have that.
Can I do that with xNormal, SubstancePainter or other software? I tried xNormal with different setups but it didn't work.

Replies

• Erwannd2d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erwannd2d polycounter lvl 2
    I have a somewhat similar problem right now, I want to get rid of the artefacts of baking a normal map on a object that has faces close to one another and cannot use the same mesh name bake option of substance painter since this is the only mesh.

And @McDev I think you should try to use the same mesh name option to seperate mesh for the normal map bake but not use it for the occlusion so that it can occlude itself. 

• TTools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    @McDev
    The Ambient occlusion channel in substance has a parameter "Self Occlusion" that can be set to either "Always" or "Only Same Mesh Name".
    If set to Always, this should allow occlusion to occur against all other High poly parts.

In the common settings for you other maps you can set "By Mesh Name".  If you've matched the high and low poly part names using _high and _low as their suffixes, then it should only bake normals of those parts against each other and not with the rest of your model parts.

@Erwannd2d is correct in noting that you could also do this a bit manually by baking out only your AO with Match set to "Always", and then baking just the normal map by setting it to "By Mesh Name."  In theory  you might not need go that route if your high and low are set up with correct naming and you use the built in Self Occlusion parameter I noted above.

@Erwannd2d
    Have you tried lowering your MaxFrontalDistance from the default 0.01 to something like 0.001? (Image above) That should keep the rays from extending so far and hitting the opposite parts of the model. This may cause parts of your model to not be completely encompassed though if you have significant discrepancy between high and low silhouette. If that doesn't work, you might need a custom cage...and if that doesn't work, you may have to resort to splitting those into separate parts.

best of luck all ! :smile:

• Erwannd2d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erwannd2d polycounter lvl 2
    @TTools I didn't think it could be a good bake with such extreme values, but I tried and it worked ! Thanks man 
  • TTools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    No problem! Glad it worked, and happy to help  :)
  • McDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McDev polycounter lvl 2
    TTools said:
    @McDev
    The Ambient occlusion channel in substance has a parameter "Self Occlusion" that can be set to either "Always" or "Only Same Mesh Name".
    If set to Always, this should allow occlusion to occur against all other High poly parts.

Thanks for the answere, I tried it and it worked just fine!
  • McDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McDev polycounter lvl 2
    TTools said:
    @McDev

Thanks for the answere, I tried it and it worked just fine!