Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] [Done]Character Art- Nunu Rework!

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
henrykuh vertex
Hey PolyCount Family!

I want to do a champion rework on... NUNU! :D

Current: Final Submission
Jan. 24th, 2018

Good day everyone!

If no further adjustment, this will be my last update. It has been a long, yet amazing journey! Great support from amazing artists, and more than a thousand thank you to polycount family. If it wasn't for you all keep posting inspiring progress shots, I probably wouldn't even complete the project.

We did it! :)

Texturing 03
Jan. 21st, 2018

Continue to refine the fur, now with an AO map! :D

As for the in game camera, I am a huge fan of Howling Abyss. That's why I decide to find an appropriate screenshot to do the testings.

At this point, I think I did the best I can at my level. I will move on to posing and final color adjustment, and also get a better render with Marmoset!

Best of luck summoners :)

Texturing 02!
Jan. 16th, 2018

More texturing base on the first draft :)

Hmmm.... I should add the geometry for the teeth, don't I?

Apart from better posing, I believe they stand out inside the rift's environment. The fur definitely look artificial... need more work!

Few more days, good luck everyone!

Texturing 01 
Jan. 14th, 2018

Happy New Year...!! It's been another while :)

I have NO IDEA on how to present topology as a progress, so I kind of skip it and dive into the texturing process.

Also made a game preview version. I think it helps a lot about how to improve the color and stuff :)

Good luck Creative Summoners! We are almost there!

Sculpting
Dec. 12th, 2017

More defined sculpt, now with the fish!

There are some risky design elements like the cape's icon and the tail. C&C are welcome on these new elements for the adventurous duo!

Blocking Out
Dec. 2nd, 2017

LoL! It's literally been forever since I last showed up!

YES! I finally got 3D stuff!!

By the way, this is the latest design I chose to follow.

The color and fur pattern is still a bit tricky to me. I will keep trying until it is good.

Call Outs

Nov. 22, 2017

Moving on with color, with some updates of minor details.

I know, I know... this is not a concept art contest. Gonna Model soon!! Hopefully...

Gamera

Nov. 17, 2017

Some Game view mock ups to see if the designs are put in the correct place :)

After some feedbacks and putting them together, I think the upper horn is better than the downer ones. What do you guys think?

Initial Concept
Nov. 14, 2017

I am giving him a cape so he feels like a scout. The armguard will protect him from throwing too much snowballs!

Willump is fun! He has finger like hooves, covered in Yeti snow, and some broken chains to show his rough past.

Inspiration
Nov. 13, 2017

Back in 2013, I drew a comic based on the tutorial. I really love the idea of "Willump's sweat as the source of snowball."

(Read from right to left. It was originally organized in Mandarin Chinese XD

Here is a link to the full comic: Ashe's Howling Abyss.

Nunu became one of my favorite champions since then. This concludes my inspiration phase.

Since I want to redesign the character, I dived into some research.

Since they are technically two characters, I did two mood boards. For Nunu, I imagined him as a kind, smart, but annoying boy according to his biography and audio. He's the brain of the duo, which make him cunning like Joesph Joestar, agile like Incredible's Dash, and goofy like Peregrin Took. The Heman transformation is for the "Blood Boil" Ability. He is also being carried by a friend, but not riding on an animal. I see no reason for putting a yoke on Willump, at least not from where their lore ended.

As for Willump, I am thinking through Warwick's rework "The League ONLY Werewolf." Thus, what is a League ONLY Yeti? A giant white gorilla with carnivore's mouth is a shared knowledge. I want to tackle a creature design for this big boy!

Thank you for the C&C!

Replies

• henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex

Concept!

Nunu the explorer! The cape makes him a scout. The seeker's armguard helps him to throw deadly snowballs.

Since the back is an important visual component in the game. I am thinking of some iconic design. He did left the Frost Guards, but that doesn't mean he's going to throw away the cape, not until he befriended Avarosan.

And then here's Willump!

Willump got some horns, borken chains, and some snow covering his body.

Since Yeti sweat/snow is the key concept, I was thinking of something like a yoke made out of ice. It might be an interesting solution.

Thank you and see you at blocking phase!
  • Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, your concepts are looking pretty solid. I'm loving the matted clumps of snow/"Yeti sweat" stuck to Willump's fur. 
    Could I make a few suggestions on a few details?

With the horns curving down on Willump, he reminds me a lot of the Wampas of Hoth from Star Wars. You could have been going for that though, but I think the horns curving up like your sketch on the far left might be a little more dynamic, would have some closer resemblance to the latest Freljordian demi-god Ornn, and Nunu could hold onto the horns like handlebars while on his back.

When it comes to it looks great, I was confused by the "Frostguard" sigil for a moment, but I doubled back to check Nunu's lore. Well done. 
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Hey, your concepts are looking pretty solid. I'm loving the matted clumps of snow/"Yeti sweat" stuck to Willump's fur. 
    Could I make a few suggestions on a few details?

With the horns curving down on Willump, he reminds me a lot of the Wampas of Hoth from Star Wars. You could have been going for that though, but I think the horns curving up like your sketch on the far left might be a little more dynamic, would have some closer resemblance to the latest Freljordian demi-god Ornn, and Nunu could hold onto the horns like handlebars while on his back.

When it comes to it looks great, I was confused by the "Frostguard" sigil for a moment, but I doubled back to check Nunu's lore. Well done. 
    Thanks HC!

Yeah, it's amazing that you spot my "secret reference" XD I was talking to my friend about the Yeti and he helped me during brainstorming. I was holding back on the upward horns because another friend thought it looks like Syndra's crown. You did mention a good point, function wise for Nunu to grab onto and design wise corresponding to Ornn's silhouette.

I agree with the risk of presenting Nunu's Frostguard past... which is a big concern. I might left it empty at the end.
  • Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh said:
    Thanks HC!

Yeah, it's amazing that you spot my "secret reference" XD I was talking to my friend about the Yeti and he helped me during brainstorming. I was holding back on the upward horns because another friend thought it looks like Syndra's crown. You did mention a good point, function wise for Nunu to grab onto and design wise corresponding to Ornn's silhouette.

I agree with the risk of presenting Nunu's Frostguard past... which is a big concern. I might left it empty at the end.
    I see how on paper the horns seem to have a similar look to Syndra's crown, but on Willump, I can't imagine anyone mixing up those silhouettes. Also, I'm sure in 3D, they'll be curved up and back, and not just upward. 
    I'd say keep the Frostguard sigil on his back. It adds something to that large empty space on his back, and is a cool lore tidbit. 
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Thank you HC!

I did the Game View mock up and it looks like your feedback on horns make way more senses.

The horns are definitely more reasonable than grabbing onto his hair. (like the current game model.)

For the Frost Guard sigils, I hide the eye icon with the fur. Therefore, the legs of the icon is shown, but not the whole thing. For people who love the story will know the inside detail, but for others it could add more into the texture.

Thanks for the feedback :D
  • Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great, I'm glad it worked out. :)
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Sounds great, I'm glad it worked out. :)
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    OMG... haven't update for a week long!?

Still playing around with the concept, add some cool elements and try different iterations.

Applied some suggestions from friends. Mainly the tail and the Yeti treats.

The Game view... now with color!!

I also did some plushie experiments, which one feels more accurate?

C&C Appreciated :D

• Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd be careful with a couple of those added elements to the yeti. The face and ears on the left is starting to make it look more like Nunu is riding on top of Mega Gnar's abominable cousin.
    I really like the broken horns though to help add some asymmetry. 
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    I'd be careful with a couple of those added elements to the yeti. The face and ears on the left is starting to make it look more like Nunu is riding on top of Mega Gnar's abominable cousin.
    I really like the broken horns though to help add some asymmetry. 
    Ah right! I did look at some mega gnar (especially the snow down one lol) for the shape language. Thanks for the warning :)
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Hey people!

It's been literally forever since I updated my progress... So here we go, Merry Christmas!!

This is the block out for Nunu.

I sitll need the ArmGuard and other details on his torso. So far so good, I think?

Then here's the block out for WIllump!

At first he feels like some Disney's Hawaiian Hero. (With the fur being pull out like the leave skirt.)

When 2 become ONE!

Definitely needs more adjustment. At the very least, I think the silhouette of the in game preview looks decent enough. I was worried that without Nunu Willump looks like Alistar's third cousin. Guess having Nunu makes them a true pair of champions :P

Thanks for the C&C.
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Hey guys!

It's been another while :)

Did a few adjustments with extra curly furs! Even the eyebrow curs into the horn.

I added the fish too! Gotta feed the Yeti when there's no monster, minions around.

Close up on Nunu.

I am still curious on people's thought on the cape. Having the mark of the watchers definitely fits the current story. However, it could be misleading... Maybe more spiral design than the eye?

For the tail, I tried out a few iterations and found potential in the fluffy one, the one I was worried about. The shapes fits with the giant arms and make it a good silhouette of three.

I think this is good enough to my original concept. I am ready to go into retopo!
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Happy New Year...!! sort of? It's been another while :)

I have NO IDEA on how to present topology as a progress, so I kind of skip it and dive into the texturing process.

Also made a game preview version. I think it helps a lot about how to improve the color and stuff :)

Got to work on 2nd draft for texturing! Then in game posing.

Good luck Creative Summoners! We are almost there!
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    More texturing base on the first draft. 

Hmmm.... I should add the geometry for the teeth, don't I?

Apart from better posing, I believe they stand out inside the rift's environment. The fur definitely look artificial... need more work!

Few more days, good luck everyone!
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Continue to refine the fur, now with an AO map! D

As for the in game camera, I am a huge fan of Howling Abyss. That's why I decide to find an appropriate screenshot to do the testings.

At this point, I think I did the best I can at my level. I will move on to posing and final color adjustment, and also get a better render with Marmoset!

Best of luck summoners 
  • vonboe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonboe polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good and great job finishing the project! 
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renanfab polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great man, contratz. I would say that maybe you should add some blueish AO and gradients to your character to give more impressions of a snow character because the whole character now looks a bit the same color and ornaments. You good add more contrast in some parts.
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Final Submission
    Jan. 24th, 2018

Good day everyone!

If no further adjustment, this will be my last update. It has been a long, yet amazing journey! Great support from amazing artists, and more than a thousand thank you to polycount family. If it wasn't for you all keep posting inspiring progress shots, I probably wouldn't even complete the project.

We did it! :)