Home Technical Talk

Help! Modeling Low Poly

KoolKat
vertex
Offline / Send Message
KoolKat vertex

When it comes to modeling low ploys, say for video games, is it a good idea to model separate meshes and then combine them together as one in order to save a lot of time and to avoid aggravating yourself with figuring out how to make the edges flow smoothly throughout the model?  Also, take into consideration that these low polys are going to have normal maps that originated from high poly models, of course.

Just to help me better understand, I have images of four different models that I found online accompanied with questions.

In the first image, the Zelda sword, I have placed circles over areas that I believe would be separate meshes that are combined together as one; therefore, please let me know if I am right.

The next model, a blade (two images), I have placed circles and arrows.  Again, let me know if I am right.

In the next image, a Viking blade as I’ll call it, the handle should be two meshes: a cylinder and helix combined together? That is the red area.  For the blue arrows, should those be separate simple-shape meshes combined together as one?

For the last image, a gun, those are lots of separate meshes combined together, right?

Please let me know if I am going in the right direction.  I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies