Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique my sculpt please!

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MarcoSkoog vertex
Heya! This is 2 concept illustrations I made with my sculpt from Zbrush, would really appreciate some critique and pointers, to push it further or make it more interesting! This is like my 2nd ever serious sculpt so some beginner tricks and tips are very much welcomed! 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You've got a good base for the lizard skin, but it's getting rendered as muddy.  I recommend going back in to make actualy scales, or find a way to make the crevice lines sharper and more distinct.

Hair sculpted like that as one large mass tends to pop out as muddy more frequently than not.  I recommend breaking that down into smaller volumes that intersect into each other as well, AND to make it even better, give each volume a light  fibermesh coat to feather out the edges.

What sort of lizards were you looking at for reference?  Right now, it's hard to tell if you were marking out specific muscle groups, the body anatomy is reading as indistinct.
  • MarcoSkoog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoSkoog vertex
    You've got a good base for the lizard skin, but it's getting rendered as muddy.  I recommend going back in to make actualy scales, or find a way to make the crevice lines sharper and more distinct.

Hair sculpted like that as one large mass tends to pop out as muddy more frequently than not.  I recommend breaking that down into smaller volumes that intersect into each other as well, AND to make it even better, give each volume a light  fibermesh coat to feather out the edges.

What sort of lizards were you looking at for reference?  Right now, it's hard to tell if you were marking out specific muscle groups, the body anatomy is reading as indistinct.
    Thank you! Great tips! 
    I wasn't looking at any specific kind of reptiles, just browsing around google. I regret not taking the time to fully integrate what I observed into my design. I think I ended up designing mostly from my mind, which ended up in a pretty generic, flat kind of shape. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Working with little to no reference will do that a lot.  Even I still need to look at reference to get characters looking decent on my end.