Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2018.3 Wireframe mode but keep image plane referene visible?

dive
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
dive polycounter lvl 6
Hey Polycount Community, 

I really need to see my model in wireframe mode (not x ray mode, opacity is not low enough) with my image planes set up in my viewports visible? Similar to how modo, c4d, and maya do it. I need the reference to be seen on these textured image planes, its vital for my modeling process. 

Im modeling a concept object with random photographic reference that has been camera matched and set up properly, so viewport reference is not an option as I need to cycle between like 10 different images.

Is this possible? 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried assigning a wireframe material to it? The default wireframe material shows every triangle though.

You could also try a custom opacity via the material, and turn on edged faces to see a backface culled wireframe overlay. Can't remember if this works or not.
  • dive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dive polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Eric, 

Yeah that could possible work if I can quickly cycle to a standard material, I'm basically trying to have the equivalent of "Toggle Wireframe Mode" in Maya.. where all geo displays as wires but image planes display with images showing. 

The conflict is in Max you can have image planes but they are textured geo... is there a way to move those objects to a different layer and have them not be affected by wireframe override opiton? 

• Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Yes, you can make all the objects in a layer set to Display by layer (in their Object Properties) and set the layer Display mode to Shaded:

• dive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dive polycounter lvl 6
    Ahh thank you swordslayer. And if I choose current layer as active I can continue modeling, adding primitives, and having wireframe toggle work right. Much thanks.
  • Mahbub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys can you help me? I'm having this issue with 3ds Max 2021. I have selected my reference image layer to shaded yet when I enter wireframe mode it still disappears. Please help me guys I know this thread is from 2017 please be a life save for me. Thanks in advance. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you try to use Layers, as explained by Swordslayer above?
  • bskochii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bskochii polycounter lvl 6
    This method works if image is placed into Standard material. In my case when V-Ray material is used it doesn't work. You can use PasteRefImage script,you can set it up to use Standard material