Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot 2017 Art Contest] - Karthus

DanRobinett
triangle
Offline / Send Message
DanRobinett triangle
Hello everybody,

I'm another first timer here on the Polycount forums. I really loved looking through the contest entries last time and I'm glad I'll get to participate this time around. I picked Karthus because.. he's evil and cool. Just seemed like a good fit. 

Anyways I'm always open to feedback in my artwork, be it words or paintover. I'm here to get better, make some great art, and have fun! 

I started off by doing some quick studies of all the current Karthus Splash art. You know, just see what already exists.  Then from there did a few thumbnails trying to get the same feeling, but changing up the image. I noticed none of the previous splashes had a strong top-down or bottom-up angle, so I decided to try some of those.  
After that I picked my favorite three and fleshed them out a little more. I haven't decided which one to go forward with so feel free to let me know what you like. Maybe the lighting in one would be cooler on a different angle. I dunno. I'll probably build some of these parts out in Zbrush/Blender and render them up for reference.  I will *try* to stream the rest of my process on twitch if I remember. No promises though, as I haven't built that into a habit yet. 

Good luck to everyone else! Can't wait to see what everybody comes up with. 

Replies