Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Animation

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Tamila Bonchy

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Tamila polygon
Hi everyone!
I'm very excited to start my WIP thread for the contest!

I'm going to use the Anthro Tiger Rig by Tre Vital (model by Giles Ruscoe). https://gumroad.com/l/srLo 

Replies

• Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    So I found out that the rig that I’ve chosen didn’t have a stretch option for legs. I added it by myself and quite happy with the result)  

• Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    Here are few poses that I made to get to know my character better.

I want to show that he is not just a warrior, but a tiger as well. He will add something tigerish and animal to all his movements and martial arts performance (at least that’s what I expect).

• Vipples
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipples polycounter lvl 5
    Nice! Love the poses so far! How difficult was it to add stretch options to this rig? I might want to play around with this rig after the competition and it'd be awesome to have that option.
  • Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    Vipples said:
    Nice! Love the poses so far! How difficult was it to add stretch options to this rig? I might want to play around with this rig after the competition and it'd be awesome to have that option.
    Thanks! I found many tutorials on YouTube with simple rigging for beginners, and the simplest way to do it took about half an hour)
  • Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    So here is a basic blocking)  It took me tons of time! I hope the next step will be finished quicker.

As I mentioned earlier this character combines animal nature and qualities of warrior and that's what I based the idea of movement cycle on. At the next step I will polish up a few things and add secondary actions  B) 

• Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    Hi everyone! I hope you all have a great winter holiday)

I'm starting this New Year with posting new version of my character's run cycle after pretty big improvements. I'm getting used to working with animation in 360-degrees, which appears to be lots of fun.
    The next stage is going to be animation of this run cycle (at last!!).

• Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    Hello everyone!

Here is my animation for a run cycle - it's not a final version and I will keep thinking about ways to improve it while I still have time. But I really need to start the next piece - and I will definitely make it much simplier  :)  

Oh, also I've gave the Tiger his weapon - a bo staff, her will need it for a Special Ultimate animation)

• Dhairyasheel
    Offline / Send Message
    Dhairyasheel polycounter lvl 6
    great one! feels fast | try adding wave more on spine in second run and little offset 
  • Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    great one! feels fast | try adding wave more on spine in second run and little offset 
    Thank you, it's very helpful! I will try if I have enough time.
  • Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    Hi everyone!

So here is the second piece for the contest - special ultimate animation with a bo staff. I had an idea about using a bo staff in a not-so-traditional way, and a thought about propulsive force of a spinning stick came (apparently) from Thor movies)) 

Here it the first stage - to catch a general idea.

The second stage - more detailed blocking with a focus on exaggeration.

The third stage - even more detailed.
    I really hope I'd be able to finish animation on time! It's a shame I do just two pieces, not three as I planned. Well, should schedule it better next time)

• AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Pretty cool idea! This is up to you, but as an ult I think it can be simplified. A wind up time is good, but you currently have two antics where there only needs to be one. He could go from the back stance, where he spins the staff then go into the jump- instead of step back, spin, then forward and down into the jump.

If it's possible you may also want to try and add some type of deformation to the staff. Adding smear frames will help the eye keep track of the motion. If that's not possible then be sure to really track the center of the staff through the shot so it's not noisy.
  • Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    Pretty cool idea! This is up to you, but as an ult I think it can be simplified. A wind up time is good, but you currently have two antics where there only needs to be one. He could go from the back stance, where he spins the staff then go into the jump- instead of step back, spin, then forward and down into the jump.

If it's possible you may also want to try and add some type of deformation to the staff. Adding smear frames will help the eye keep track of the motion. If that's not possible then be sure to really track the center of the staff through the shot so it's not noisy.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely think about simplifying if it looks overloaded, may be with simplifying the flow itself.
    And yeah, the staff is very rough here. Great idea about deformation though, didn't think about it.  Very helpful!
  • Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    Hi everyone!

Here is the animation for ultimate hit - I will also add secondary actions and polish up several things I guess. I'm not sure that is the way the staff will be spinning though, I tried a few versions and I keep thinking (but I prefer this one so far). 

• Tamila
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamila polygon
    Hi everyone!

Just a few final changes) Good luck all of you!

• dondrapichrust
    Offline / Send Message
    dondrapichrust triangle
    awesome idea for run cycle