Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Just finished my portfolio! Environment Art

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Could really use some critique on my portfolio!
https://www.artstation.com/stanleybarrett

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This is overall pretty decent.

Strongest piece is your Tileable Materials section.

Medium strength are both your environments.

Weakest is the Tracer pistol.  With that one I can't tell if it was meant for mobile (nothing about the art direction specifies that), or if it was a hastily made model made for somethng like an Overwatch game.  Either this gets a couple more weeks polish, or it goes.  For now, I'd remove it; it seems to hurt more than add.

--------------------

Chinese garden environment is a solid start, but could use some more love to build a sense of flow and particular attention to the layout.  I want more than just this hazy grey fog.  I want lamps, lights, things to guide my attention and cut through the tonal monotony of the world.  The pagoda I get is to be the focal point of the "level," but it needs more stuff pointing towards it.  Possible solutions include lamps, statues, more decorations that are shiny (metallic).

The wall doors are way too low poly.  You can have a minimum 32 sided circle to make them smoother.  Throw more polys at that.

I want more shiny stuff.  metal stuff.  Material variety.  Everything is reading monotone tonally.  At initial blush, wood's gonna reflect like stone.  

The pond water could stand to be transparent and have cool stuff in the water like koi, additional stones, plants, etc.  Would help to add depth to the scene.