Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] WIP Radiant Aurelion Sol

So when deciding on what skin concept I wanted to go with for this contest, it came down to two that I had been thinking on for some time: Pool Party Aurelion Sol... or a Lunar Revel skin for Aurelion Sol. In the end I found the LR skins actually fit Sol rather well. He's visually inspired by Chinese and Japanese dragons as it is, so the transition to a more traditional looking dragon doesn't seem like a far fetched idea, at least not on paper. I am still putting together more references, but from initial thoughts, I did sketch the following image as a very rough idea of what I want to go for. (in terms of the skin design itself, not the final illustration.)

Keeping Sol recognizable but clearly thematic to the Lunar Revel is very key, and while there are plenty of things I plan on tightening up with this initial design (it's not even a full body concept yet), I do like the starting point I've set for myself. 

(His stars will also be themed around fireworks. It's by far the most fitting visual change I could think of for his stars.)

More finalized sketches. I'm fairly happy with these, but I'll be doing some more designs for his body. After those sketches, a full turn around sheet is next. Once I have the design and turn around complete, I'll be moving on to the splash art itself. But that's getting a bit too ahead of myself. I'd enjoy some feedback in the meanwhile.

Replies