Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot 2017 Art Contest] Project: Xayah and Rakan

Hi guys! First time posting here! For the contest I´m doing Xayah and Rakan as part of the Project universe. Those are some of my favorite skins and Xayah is one of my favorite champions, but how could I paint Xayah without her inseparable Rakan. I think this two would fit nicely in the futuristic universe of Ionia. And most interesting would be of how their love would transcend de cybernetic enhancements of the PROJECT skins.

Hopefully I´ll be able to update frequently around here. This will be a great challenge.

I´ll start with some concepts for the design of the characters which I´ll post soon before exploring compositions for the final.

Cheers guys! and good luck everybody.

Replies

• osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well finally some update. Had a ton of work this last days but finally managed to put down some concepts.

I decided to start with the headpiece for Xayah since she´s my focus and then go from there with the design for Rakan just as a compliment for the illustration since I like them together.

Here´s what I have so far, I´d actually like to hear your opinion guys.
    I shall make another round after I´ve decided on a direction.

Cheers guys!!

• DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Looks amazing! Cant wait to see your ideas for Rakan!
    Also my favorite is B idk it just looks soooooooooo badass and cool just how I'd imagine Xayah to be.
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks a lot! still lots to go but glad you like it :D 
  • Amaranthine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaranthine polycounter lvl 4
    @osvaldo_pasillas
    D is Absolutely wonderful! It speaks to that "edgyness" Xayah has!
  • McKennaKhelpi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McKennaKhelpi triangle
    These are looking really fun, I'm really into E myself. I think the ears will have the right amount of interest and she looks slightly spooky. I'm actually really drawn to all of the ones with the hood - the shape language just feels stronger there.  
  • RedSinistra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    All of them look amazing!  Mhmm I like B and C: B moslty because it focus the "face / eyes" with that neon , and the hood and ears of C ( I think that In game would be more appealing and distinguishable for that camera angle.) Keep it up! 
  • zaradh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zaradh null
    I love this Idea! I also wanted to realize Project xayah and rakan, but since you are already doing it I'll do theyr blood moon version! I really like the Eyemask (B) and the ears from (C)!
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @osvaldo_pasillas
    D is Absolutely wonderful! It speaks to that "edgyness" Xayah has!
     @Amaranthine Thanks!!
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I´ll definitely take that into consideration ;)
    These are looking really fun, I'm really into E myself. I think the ears will have the right amount of interest and she looks slightly spooky. I'm actually really drawn to all of the ones with the hood - the shape language just feels stronger there.  
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of them look amazing!  Mhmm I like B and C: B moslty because it focus the "face / eyes" with that neon , and the hood and ears of C ( I think that In game would be more appealing and distinguishable for that camera angle.) Keep it up! 
    @RedSinistra
    I hadn't thought about the in game read of the characters that much, definitely will! Thanks a lot
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

zaradh said:
    I love this Idea! I also wanted to realize Project xayah and rakan, but since you are already doing it I'll do theyr blood moon version! I really like the Eyemask (B) and the ears from (C)!
    @zaradh thanks!! Really looking forward for your take on them too ;D
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I´ve been a bit busy with work lately but finally I can post an update here. So, I´m still working on the character designs but I think I finally have a direction, thanks to you guys.

Oddly enough I have a clearer vision on the direction I want to take on Rakan. Still have to work the nuts and bolts of both. I wanted to take a quick break on the design work and start thinking of the composition of the final illustration.

This has been quite informative on some elements I might want to pay more attention to when designing them to showcase them better on the illustration.

So here are some thumbnails on color trying to find the best mood and pose but I think I can definitely use some more feedback.

So what do you guys think? Let me know ;)

• DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Well I´ve been a bit busy with work lately but finally I can post an update here. So, I´m still working on the character designs but I think I finally have a direction, thanks to you guys.

Oddly enough I have a clearer vision on the direction I want to take on Rakan. Still have to work the nuts and bolts of both. I wanted to take a quick break on the design work and start thinking of the composition of the final illustration.

This has been quite informative on some elements I might want to pay more attention to when designing them to showcase them better on the illustration.

So here are some thumbnails on color trying to find the best mood and pose but I think I can definitely use some more feedback.

So what do you guys think? Let me know ;)

HOLY MOLY THIS LOOKS SO INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant even really chose *-* Can we have all 4 please? xD
    They all look amazing and I really cant wait for your finished splash :D If I'd HAVE TO choose I think I might pick D or C...or B xD ye I rly cant decide
  • Amaranthine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaranthine polycounter lvl 4
    C look so so amazing! Extremely dynamic! All of them are amazing though xD
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DawnHeart Thanks so much I can´t decide either :v probably will do a couple more to see if I find something more interesting

• osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Amaranthine thank you!! Still lots of work to do ;D

• DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    @DawnHeart Thanks so much I can´t decide either :v probably will do a couple more to see if I find something more interesting

I dont even rly think you need something more interesting. They are rly goddamn amazing! I think C or D would be the best. Tho not sure which one to prefer. B would be cool too but I dislike Xayah covering the beautiful abs of Rakan <3 xDDDD
    Its really not cuz they are not interesting they are just soooo amazing all in their own way that its hard to decide!
    Also cant wait to see finished Rakan *-* my heart is probably gonna stop once I see it cuz it will be so amazing 
  • Heath_Alex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heath_Alex keyframe
    D for me, think its great and the poses show their personalities well which is a huge part of the splash art idea. Colours are great too, really fits the Project skin theme. great stuff, cant wait for the next update

• Yangyexin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yangyexin triangle
    D and B are definitely my two favs in terms of comp and colors!
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn guys I´m sorry, I´ve very busy with work. Here´s an update on Xayah´s design.

Critiques and comenta are very welcome, would like to hear your feedback.

Cheers! 

• AndresDunkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresDunkel vertex
    Looks very cool bro.
    If those skins exist for real I say somethig like "Shut up, and take my money"
  • DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Looks very cool bro.
    If those skins exist for real I say somethig like "Shut up, and take my money"
    Totally agree on that xD
    I'd instantly buy the pack of these 2
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! its been a while since the last update and many things have happened.

First, here's the image of Xayah and Rakan together which I'm using as design reference for the final image, you can see its pretty loose since it is just a guideline for myself.

After completing this I was a bit stuck as where to go next so decided to test some materials on Xayahs forearm just to see if I could get the rendering to the level I wanted and here's the result of that.

I was pleased enough with the materials but now the shapes were not working for me as part of the Project universe so after talking with some friends and my girlfriend I came with this new design for the arm and then went on from there.

This shapes kinda worked better for me and eventually made their way to the rest of the skins, not much changed except for the form language.

At this point I had to start on the final so I was working on some of the compositions I had previously shown but was not happy again so I made a new thumbnail with which I was happy enough to take it to final.

SO the I started blocking some colors from the background using some photos and adjusting the colors, after that its just painting, here's a little sneak peak of how its coming along, still a lot to do but kind of pleased how its coming along.

Thanks for watching!!! We´ll see how this goes, good luck everyone.
  • DawnHeart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Looks AMAZING!!!!!! Your idea is my favorite from this contest all along!
    Only one thing I'm currently not in love with its Rakans Head/face. If its only this lil bit of orange line its rather "meh". I think he needs a visor too like Xayah / Vayne / Kata etc. 
    Apart of this it really lookst incredible *-*
    Cant wait for your final splash!
  • allien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allien triangle
    Beautiful material rendering! thanks for posting those updates )