Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Native Shaman Soraka

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
jman86 polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone. I'm looking forward to this contest. I've decided to go with Soraka and create a Native skin. I always love flexing and strengthening my creative muscles. I was going to go with a skin already created but the one way to grow skills is to let the imagination grow. Here is the ref sheet I came up with and hopefully in a day or two I can have a concept I'm happy about. Looking forward to seeing everyone's work. 

Concept

Update 11/12/17

Replies

• jman86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jman86 polycounter lvl 5
    Drew up a quick concept to get me started. Going to be a lot of little pieces going on and that will be a nice challenge with only having the diffuse, ao, and a alpha map. I will change things when I need to but I'm content with this. The smaller braces/pieces are fully drawn in for the sake of getting the concept finished. 

• vonboe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonboe polycounter lvl 12
    Nice concept.

I have always had a thing for facial paints, certain it will work out really well for a character like Soraka.
    Looking forward to seeing more.

• WicCaesar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WicCaesar null
    Double check if the chosen elements are actual native adornments or mere music festival white girl Instagram stuff.
  • Keyla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keyla triangle
    Very nice concept. She looks really cute, I love Soraka :blush: Can't wait to see how you get on! 
  • jman86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jman86 polycounter lvl 5
    vonboe said:
    Nice concept.

I have always had a thing for facial paints, certain it will work out really well for a character like Soraka.
    Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks. Yea, face paint is always cool. And IMO Soraka can really make them pop since her skin is quite colorful too. 

WicCaesar said:
    Double check if the chosen elements are actual native adornments or mere music festival white girl Instagram stuff.
    Oh trust me I doubled check. But there are so many different tribes and types. There is no set theme or way for them. Luckily too I could look into my own family history and pull some things from my grandmother and on. 

Keyla said:
    Very nice concept. She looks really cute, I love Soraka :blush: Can't wait to see how you get on! 
    Thanks. Yea her cuteness kind of made me go for her. 
  • JacctheInsomniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just gonna echo a sentiment, while there certainly isn't one look that applies to all North American indigenous people, it's VERY important to ensure you're CERTAIN of the history and meaning of the imagery you draw from. Plains tribal peoples are very different from coastal tribes, which are different on the east coast, north coast, and in the north and south. Each one of these tribes may look different from one another, meaning that "natives" have no consistent look, but I assure you western coastal aboriginals look very specifically like western coastal aboriginals.

There is meaning behind every tattoo, hairstyle, and charm. Thus far I can confidently say that your moodboard is too reliant on a hodgepodge of things that seem vaguely native, especially among the images that emphasize eroticism.
  • jman86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jman86 polycounter lvl 5
    I'm just gonna echo a sentiment, while there certainly isn't one look that applies to all North American indigenous people, it's VERY important to ensure you're CERTAIN of the history and meaning of the imagery you draw from. Plains tribal peoples are very different from coastal tribes, which are different on the east coast, north coast, and in the north and south. Each one of these tribes may look different from one another, meaning that "natives" have no consistent look, but I assure you western coastal aboriginals look very specifically like western coastal aboriginals.

There is meaning behind every tattoo, hairstyle, and charm. Thus far I can confidently say that your moodboard is too reliant on a hodgepodge of things that seem vaguely native, especially among the images that emphasize eroticism.
    Thanks for the feedback and I understand it, but for this, it is just to come up with something to fit the fictional character. I've done work for clients of this nature, and if I were to tell you how they feel towards any type of race, it could start a whole going back and forth. This is intended to just brainstorm as if creating something for a client. Which if they needed full fledged truth of a certain type then that's different. But with a fictional type game, 9 times out of 10, unless for certain reasons, they would not go with that because it could cause issues with people. So they will just pull whatever from images that could and maybe suit the character based off of that character's story, stats, etc. 

My choices were based on what would fit her and nearly not everything is even being used. If that was the case, should would be almost naked but that wouldn't suit her since most of her skins are not like that. But they highlight her legs as far as skin, along with color scheme, and her horn. But I appreciate the feedback and if you were offended, none was attended for that. Shoot I come from mainly a Choctaw/Black heritage out of Mississippi, so I take pride in it. Another reason why I am going for the style. But to each their own. :) Thanks again though. 
  • jman86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jman86 polycounter lvl 5
    Current update. Have the body where I mainly want and the face. Will change as I keep shaping out the outfit and hair. Blocking out the dress.