Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need Critique on 2D Character for soon to be 3D model!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Kimu polycounter lvl 5
Updated Recent Concept:

-Older Concepts

Hello! Wanted some critique mostly on design and color or if you think it's alright! 

This is not properly render/shaded colors, not until I can be satisfy with the colors. Thank you for your time, sorry if my English is not good!!

Replies

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Do you have back story for this character ? Why is she having donkey ears and is bandage like a mummy ? 
    Also her arm look to short and her lower hip to wide from anatomical stand point , maybe just maybe she is bow legged or her legs are too straight 
  • Kimu
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimu polycounter lvl 5
    Do you have back story for this character ? Why is she having donkey ears and is bandage like a mummy ? 
    Also her arm look to short and her lower hip to wide from anatomical stand point , maybe just maybe she is bow legged or her legs are too straight 

Hello! Thank you for critique. i updated here, yes I do! In short,

- she's a werewolf (reason for ears) 
    - changed up the bandages now less of it but the reason she haves it is because she does not like for people to see her burn scars. Would this be better change?
    -Fixed her arm length, hips and her legs.

I guess I should of given more information.
    -She's a fighter
    -very wild personality.
    -weapon of choice is usually swords
    And her fists/kicks

Also would the colors be fine then? I hope this was helpful info.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Does she turn or she just have set of different ears , I am asking because if she transform in some way this could effect her cloths and of course bandages , for example if she get bigger she will tear them up or if she get hairy she will cover her scars 
    About colors you can have some fun with Kuler :(there are pre made examples or you can make your self color scheme , as her hair is biggest thing my suggestion is to take it as a main color)
    https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/
  • Kimu
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimu polycounter lvl 5

When Human, It's just regular human ears and black hair. Werewolf would be the purple ear one here. At least in her world rules, she can turn into a full wolf too. Because of fantasy freedom when she does turn into a wolf there's light covering anything and just the shape changing, when turning back human, same progress, the light and the figure is the thing that changes, so in this case I took the liberty of the clothes not ripping but simply dissapearing when full wolf and returning when werewolf/human. 

I'll be working on the colors and shading now! So far I do like the colors she have right now, I will tweak is as I go along with the back and side and others. Kuler is pretty sweet! Thank you!
  • Sy1ne
    Offline / Send Message
    Sy1ne null
    I really like the design so far, just a few questions I had in mind when looking at it:
    1. Why does she have a collar? It seems dog-like and you said she's a wild wolf
    2. As cool as it looks, her hair seems like it would get in the way a lot when fighting, especially with close range combat and swords. This kind of long hair would make more sense if she was maybe a ranged mage or something. Idk, just throwing out ideas
    Hope this helps a bit 
  • Kimu
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimu polycounter lvl 5
    Sy1ne said:
    I really like the design so far, just a few questions I had in mind when looking at it:
    1. Why does she have a collar? It seems dog-like and you said she's a wild wolf
    2. As cool as it looks, her hair seems like it would get in the way a lot when fighting, especially with close range combat and swords. This kind of long hair would make more sense if she was maybe a ranged mage or something. Idk, just throwing out ideas
    Hope this helps a bit 
    Thank you! Oh I though it was not important to say. I'll say now!

1. For her Collar, It's story related, basically her soul is in that collar so taking it out basically makes her like a blank doll. Since having it as a baby she actually does not mind it so much. Enemies do actually make fun of her for it so It does feel like a weakness.

2. I actually went and did quick doodles of different designs for her hair after what you said but...

After a bit of struggle, I was thinking of the intense scene I want to do with her 3D model. Something similar to the image above.
    I tried to picture her with short hair and making the coat do the exaggeration but sadly I only feel the exaggeration with the long hair. 

A lot of fight scenes, her hair would give her great wild feeling, flying in the wind, like that of a barbarian.  I'll take the risk with the fantasy feeling as she haves fantasy fights and not realistic ones. 

Thank you still so much! If in the 3D model I get different feeling I might go with the short hair. For now, long hair!
    Thank you so much for the critique I hope what I said its understandable! : D

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Her back story start to grow on me , she will end up extremely complex character 
    Why don't you make rough 3d block out - concept sculpt to be sure that current design work in 3d nothing fancy just big forms ?
  • MykulJaxin
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    I think that visually, she's fine. I think as long as you've got reasons for the bandages, they can stay. For me, though, her face (and eyes especially) get lost in the color scheme. Is it possible to mute her hair slightly or do something to make her face pop more? My eyes go right to her chest and her belt.
  • Kimu
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimu polycounter lvl 5
    Her back story start to grow on me , she will end up extremely complex character 
    Why don't you make rough 3d block out - concept sculpt to be sure that current design work in 3d nothing fancy just big forms ?
    I think that visually, she's fine. I think as long as you've got reasons for the bandages, they can stay. For me, though, her face (and eyes especially) get lost in the color scheme. Is it possible to mute her hair slightly or do something to make her face pop more? My eyes go right to her chest and her belt.

Sorry for late reply to everyone! Because of Hurricane Maria, I have no power at home so I'm limited to work 30 mins at my workplace sometimes.

Carvuliero-

I worked a bit more on the drawing sorry! I will block her out soon! I live in Puerto Rico and because of hurricane Maria I have no power at home to work on her 3D on Zbrush since it drains more battery so I stick with Photoshop for now. (I work on her at my workplace during lunch time roughly 30 mins )

MykuJaxin-

Thank you! I render the drawing more to a final piece!