Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot 2017 Art Contest] Pulsefire Ezreal Splash Art (WIP)

HY0
vertex
Offline / Send Message
HY0 vertex
Hello all! I am currently a student enrolled in college studying game and film design for digital media, and I am extremely excited to have found out about this contest! This is actually my first time entering any sort of art contest online, but I think this will be a very fun learning experience and hopefully help me build a stronger portfolio.

As the title suggests, I am redoing the splash art of the first ultimate skin, Pulesfire Ezreal. This is just a rough mockup, but I will be playing around with more poses and compositions very soon.
Best of luck to everyone, and have a great time drawing! Remember to save every so often too haha.
I also intend on altering Ez's head to look more like the first picture as I think it makes him look more dramatic. I'd also argue that it avoids looking too similar to his classic skin's splash in terms of his head's angle.

Replies

• DavideScalia
    Offline / Send Message
    DavideScalia triangle
    yeah PF Ezereal could really use a splash art upgrade...i like this composition but before the values block in i would have the background figured out. Or do you?
  • HY0
    Offline / Send Message
    HY0 vertex
    yeah PF Ezereal could really use a splash art upgrade...i like this composition but before the values block in i would have the background figured out. Or do you?
    Just a rough concept in my head at the moment. Thanks for the advice, it would really help me adjust things around a bit if it doesn't look as planned before I dive in too deep. Appreciate it!
  • HY0
    Offline / Send Message
    HY0 vertex
    I played around a bit with a few background elements and adjusted his right leg to an elevated bending position rather than a grounded one. Ez is now arcane shifting from the back right of the shot to the front left. Parts of his cannon get lost in with the background at the moment, but i'll fix that up after I go to sleep. Good night all! (it's actually almost 11 am here, just decided not to sleep, yikes)

• MadameDaFunk
    Offline / Send Message
    MadameDaFunk triangle
    hi nice concept , i have a suggestion to taking more futher the study about the black and white , you can darken a little bit the background for example and traing to make the character standing out a little bit , like adding some strong light in his pulsefire gun and so on ...... it's my humble opinion and i wish it could help some how :D keep going man :smiley:
  • MadameDaFunk
    Offline / Send Message
    MadameDaFunk triangle
    hi nice concept , i have a suggestion to taking more further the study about the black and white , you can darken a little bit the background for example and trying to make the character standing out a little bit , like adding some strong light in his pulsefire gun and so on ...... it's my humble opinion and i wish it could help some how :D keep going man :smiley:
  • HY0
    Offline / Send Message
    HY0 vertex
    hi nice concept , i have a suggestion to taking more further the study about the black and white , you can darken a little bit the background for example and trying to make the character standing out a little bit , like adding some strong light in his pulsefire gun and so on ...... it's my humble opinion and i wish it could help some how :D keep going man :smiley:
    Hi! Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it! I'll look into pushing the values, it was also something I have been looking over for the past few hours too... thanks again!
  • HY0
    Offline / Send Message
    HY0 vertex

Took the feedback into consideration and added some rough lighting and blocked in a background as well as adjusting a few minor things here and there... can't wait to see where this goes! Thank you all for the comments and critiques.
  • HY0
    Offline / Send Message
    HY0 vertex

It's been a while, but I did a bit of revising and fine-tuning the previous version. Still much more to do, but for now, I want to start exploring different compositions and incorporate some storytelling rather than remaking the original splash.
  • HY0
    Offline / Send Message
    HY0 vertex

New composition with some storytelling! Very early WIP, will get back to it in the morning.
    Essentially wanted to portray the Pulsefire lore in which Ezreal travels through time in order to basically prevent the apocalypse from happening, all while Caitlyn is hunting him down since he's "breaking the law". Even so, Ezreal's intentions are for the good of mankind so I depicted him rescuing a young boy and his little sister from whatever disaster occurred in the location of this concept.

Side note: I know some people could possibly portray Ez as being a kidnapper/ holding the children hostage in this image, so I'll be fixing that tomorrow.

That's my update for tonight. Very excited to get back to this messy WIP in the morning and fix things up!
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    HY0 said:

It's been a while, but I did a bit of revising and fine-tuning the previous version. Still much more to do, but for now, I want to start exploring different compositions and incorporate some storytelling rather than remaking the original splash.
    I love how you draw his face/hair on this one :o it looks amazing!
    But I like that u want to add a story to his splash as back then when they created PF Ez they had not rly high quality splashes so I think number 2 is better. (BUT THAT FACE/HAIR ON THIS ONE IS <3)
  • HY0
    Offline / Send Message
    HY0 vertex
    @DawnHeart
    thank you so much for the feedback! it's greatly appreciated : D
    hopefully my other iterations could look as cool as the first one was for you! i'll continue to try my best!
  • HY0
    Offline / Send Message
    HY0 vertex

Here's another update! After some thought, I decided to do away with the other characters. Although i was really digging the concept of having other characters in the splash art for better storytelling, I remembered that Pulsefire Ezreal is an "Ultimate" tier skin. Looking at the other ultimate skins, I noticed that none of them included background characters. Plus, if I wanted to convince someone to buy PFE, I'd want him to be doing a badass/dynamic pose in the splash art rather than cautiously hiding.