Home Marmoset

Issue between Mormoset and SPainter Position map

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
inediblered polycounter lvl 5
I'm trying to bake my position map in Marmoset toolbag 3 but it's giving me weird artifacts when applied to substance painter. This are the differences: 

The Substance render (on left) works fine. Could someone help me please ? 

Replies

• inediblered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inediblered polycounter lvl 5
    Does anyone know the official way to get help from The people behind Marmoset ? I'm still struggling with this 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For immediate support needs you can always email support@marmoset.co.

It looks like the position map bake from Toolbag has more contrast. You could try adjusting the texture in photoshop to reduce the contrast. 

Could you show some images and explain exactly how the difference in position map content is causing problems?

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hey Joe, sorry for bringing this thread back up, but I just recently come up with this issue as well, as my first time playing with TB3 baker on the new 3.05 beta. So the position map does looks different like mentioned above and it does makes a difference in Painter as below;

It seems that position map from TB cause the pixelated effect and abit of dither, even though there's no dither checkbox on the position map setting. Another thing I noticed is that in TB3 stated that normalization as BBox, whereas in Painter it's BSphere, when I test bake BSphere in TB3 it looks totally different as if almost all of the map color green (?).

Do you have any idea what's causing this?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel said:
    Hey Joe, sorry for bringing this thread back up, but I just recently come up with this issue as well, as my first time playing with TB3 baker on the new 3.05 beta. So the position map does looks different like mentioned above and it does makes a difference in Painter as below;

It seems that position map from TB cause the pixelated effect and abit of dither, even though there's no dither checkbox on the position map setting. Another thing I noticed is that in TB3 stated that normalization as BBox, whereas in Painter it's BSphere, when I test bake BSphere in TB3 it looks totally different as if almost all of the map color green (?).

Do you have any idea what's causing this?
    Hey Wahyu,

Firstly with the dithering, dither is on for some map types that have a lot of gradiation such as position when you bake 8 bit. Try baking 16 bit instead.

As far as the bounding box stuff, can you post some images of the results you're seeing from Toolbag, and what you expect/get from Painter?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Oh yeah you're right! baked 16 bit png, and the dithering is not noticeable anymore! So which map do you suggest to bake in 16 bit then? I'm guessing only normal, world normal, and position?

Regarding the normalization, here's the result I'm getting both method for both program;

TB BBox (default setting) looks *pretty much* similar with SP BSphere (also default setting) with a little bit more contrast, but TB BSphere looks nothing like BBox/ BSphere in painter.

What could it be that causing all green? Not sure whether this happen on previous version as well or not cus it's my first time playing with the TB baker (which I'm pretty happy with the auto cage and skew map painting :smiley: )
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel said:
    Oh yeah you're right! baked 16 bit png, and the dithering is not noticeable anymore! So which map do you suggest to bake in 16 bit then? I'm guessing only normal, world normal, and position?

Regarding the normalization, here's the result I'm getting both method for both program;

TB BBox (default setting) looks *pretty much* similar with SP BSphere (also default setting) with a little bit more contrast, but TB BSphere looks nothing like BBox/ BSphere in painter.

What could it be that causing all green? Not sure whether this happen on previous version as well or not cus it's my first time playing with the TB baker (which I'm pretty happy with the auto cage and skew map painting :smiley: )
    Thanks for the info, we're looking into this and will try to get a fix in for the official 3.05 release.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Awesome Joe! thanks!