Home General Discussion

3D modelers replaced by A.I.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
neverland polycounter lvl 3
Hey there guys...
Is it true that soon 3d modelers will be replaced by A.I.??

Peace

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    only the shit ones :)
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    no, if anything we'll be using AI as another tool in our kits. There's a lot of threads about this already, just go take a look around. That said, concept / 2d artists would likely be a bit more worried
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    zetheros said:
    no, if anything we'll be using AI as another tool in our kits. There's a lot of threads about this already, just go take a look around. That said, concept / 2d artists would likely be a bit more worried

thats what 2d artists said a year or two ago. and using it as a tool just means cleanup for shitty idea guys generations. 3d artists already work with these "concepts". there is still quality work out there, plenty. but you can see ai taking over DESPITE the legal issues it might impose.

for 3d it will likely come quicker than we think, we are a bit protected by hardware limitations, internet connections and so on. i assume it will first hit stuff like photogrammetry assets, the dream is that ai might help up do retopo or uvs, but nanite blurs the lines about how well an asset really needs to be made already, it's only a matter of time until something like nanite isn't that huge of an issue anymore in terms of memory footprints.
    then there is all the stuff that is simulated these days, thats also somewhat easy to process and could become automated.

you might think, but hey images that feed 2d generators exist in unlimited quantities, 3d is much more limited.
    all it needs is a 2d generator to make well enough turntables of things to be "scanned", or the 3d medium completely changed with something like gaussian splatting, meshes aren't needed for this stuff at all.
    on top, check out who owns some of the libraries of 3d content, say sketchfab or turbosquid for instance, selling or showcasing your stuff there will ultimately feed into the machine
  • Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Nova polycounter lvl 4
    From my understanding, as @Neox said with 3D data being limited, the text to 3D is trying to do 'good enough' turntables of generated 2D images that make 3D meshes. Obviously the tech is new and can get better but I do not really see a need for it? at most it 'could' make basic, mundane props for set dressing if I think about it optimistically. Meanwhile, my experience tells me it would be just about the same/more amount of effort to clean up the texture artifacts and the inevitable blobby mesh to look more polished.

Sure, it can base the 3D mesh off generated 2D images, but do those 2D images understand 3D forms and how that translates over? maybe in time, but I wouldn't count on it. I feel like it's more important than ever to still know the fundamentals for 2D and 3D art, though sadly I also fear the future and hope that my role in the industry whenever I do get into a position will not just devolve into a polish-bitch for ai generated mess.

I feel like it's a disservice to the countless skilled individuals in this industry who make truly inspiring work from years of experience and practice to just amount to cleaning up what machines spit out. As cliche as it sounds that shit is soulless... but sadly greedy idea guys don't care.

3D artists are not screwed, but every update on this ai crap makes me heave a collective sigh.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and i absolutely agree to the need to understand fundamentals, but being junior these days can be rough, when some AI tool shits out better anything than you with a few years of training. are there errors in those images still? sure but its getting better and fixing the most obivous stuff is a lot cheaper than hiring and training someone to do things from the ground up :/
    cleaning it up can usually be done by less experienced folks, meaning less money involved. i mean it is an industry after all, run by people who want to make as much money as possible with as little investment as needed.

and while i agree with you, i just already see ai creeping in left and right for 2d productions, i doubt it will not come for 3d.
    when good enough is a lot cheaper and still makes billions, the decision for people in charge will be pretty easy.

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Whatever happens, since they continue to hammer these terms into everyone's heads every day if they can, but i am seeing these threads show up again and again, becomes annoying.  More so the youth to be okay with it then us (parenting ftw) and be normal, anyway been taking some nice time away from the p.c. since their latest movements of trying to x everyone, i recommend weening yourselves and your kids of these systems, they importing immigrants to go along with these things also, so one way or another seems they get their ways like this, "disgruntled" current gen knows things they try to change it, x them out (by any means) a.s.a.p. import replacements ("doers"/immigrants) rinse repeat apparently.  // feel free to ignore me, idc to be address in these topics, just sharing info. busy busy people might not know bout, should be obvious by now.  The youtube ad thing being able to stop people from watching videos possibly even without the ad in, shows you the moves coming.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I have no idea wtf you're talking about, but I think not watching any more YouTube might be a good idea. 
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    jStins said:
    I have no idea wtf you're talking about, but I think not watching any more YouTube might be a good idea. 

what you learn 1st you learn best, like children growing up learning that .a.i. is cool and "helpful" and idiots in support of it, if the children hear "buzz words" long enough it becomes 2nd nature to repeat or accept those terms, its called conditioning in "military terms", much like brain washing, you know if you like hear music here and there and find yourself singing the song without even liking the song, an example like that is what i am talking bout.  Then the foreigners from communist countries coming in and being (not so savvy) conform to govs to keep control to keep this same cycle of b.s. going on that we all eventually hate.  The reason to bring it up is the hand of the ones whom created the a.i. b.s. system, to revoke employment feeds into the same machine i talk about that wants to retain control.  All the best in your figuring things out and not just sitting on the sidelines keeping quiet till it only bothers you.  i.e. care about more than yourselves, before it interrupts your life, would be the smart move since eventually when you do want "help" or clarification, you will not be alone, if you still do not get it everyone will eventually, takes time like a loading screen for the rest to 'catchup'..
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    that's nice bro, I feel better informed now
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Damn communists, always trying to take our jobs.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Really dumb (but obvious) thing I want to point out with AI.
    Video game graphics age like milk.

As long as we keep moving the bar forward, AI can't really take out jobs because they're only able to copy the work we did in the past.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

As long as we keep moving the bar forward, AI can't really take out jobs because they're only able to copy the work we did in the past.

i dunno the strongest IPs in the business aren't really known for pushing the bars to new heights with every update. once there is a formula that sticks, it's not gonna be reinvented all the time. and i'd guess thats where the majority of the jobs are.
    a call of duty is a safe bet to the publisher, an asset for that IP is only gonna get so detailled, and detailling existing stuff isn't really where AI is super bad at.

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Neox said:

i dunno the strongest IPs in the business aren't really known for pushing the bars to new heights with every update. once there is a formula that sticks, it's not gonna be reinvented all the time. and i'd guess thats where the majority of the jobs are.
    a call of duty is a safe bet to the publisher, an asset for that IP is only gonna get so detailled, and detailling existing stuff isn't really where AI is super bad at.

I'm not so sure.

The difference between CoD in 2013 (Ghosts) and 2023 (Modern Warfare 3) is immense.
    The difference in hardware power is immense. If the graphics of "Ghosts" was released today it would be universally panned for looking dated.

The Last of Us was a massive benchmark in visuals back in 2013, and they ended up redoing the visuals last year.
    Heres The Last Of Us Part 1 Compared To The Original Version - GameSpot

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Neox said:

Apart from a few new-gen games utilizing the latest technology, I think most IPs utilize a graphic trend that could be done with hardare made 10 years ago. Like 'borderlands-styled' games getting replaced by 'studio ghibli' style games and now by 'comic book' style games.  AI cannot predict that, but if you feed the parameters in it, well, it can do a pretty good job
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not so sure.

The difference between CoD in 2013 (Ghosts) and 2023 (Modern Warfare 3) is immense.
    The difference in hardware power is immense. If the graphics of "Ghosts" was released today it would be universally panned for looking dated.

The Last of Us was a massive benchmark in visuals back in 2013, and they ended up redoing the visuals last year.
    Heres The Last Of Us Part 1 Compared To The Original Version - GameSpot

yeah but this is the "now", and sure it doesnt work on animated meshes yet. but this comparison. 
    just this still alone is already possible. i mean their work isn't super duper realistic yet, but i guess if the goal is more realism and detail, i guess this just a matter of time until this stuff can be more generated, even in 3d, even in animation.
    wether i like that or not :/

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Neox said:
    yeah but this is the "now", and sure it doesnt work on animated meshes yet. but this comparison. 
    just this still alone is already possible. i mean their work isn't super duper realistic yet, but i guess if the goal is more realism and detail, i guess this just a matter of time until this stuff can be more generated, even in 3d, even in animation.
    wether i like that or not :/

AI will eventually take over, even those naked model photo reference packs on artstation
  • CyberdemoN_1542
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberdemoN_1542 polycounter lvl 5
    It feels like the noose is tightening... 

https://www.turbosquid.com/ai-3d-generator
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I joined the waitlist, will let you guys know if you truly have to be worried :p
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yay, more companies destroying their own marketplace and user base before users get the change to with their own AI generated flood of content. 
  • CyberdemoN_1542
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberdemoN_1542 polycounter lvl 5
    zetheros said:
    I joined the waitlist, will let you guys know if you truly have to be worried :p

It feels like the noose is tightening... 

https://www.turbosquid.com/ai-3d-generator

It uses Nvidia Picasso as a base, so there's an indication...

I'm going to flood their platform with crap and mislabeled models when it comes out. They're coming after me so why shouldn't I go after them too? They live by the motto "adapt or die". Let's see how they like it.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I'm expecting AI assets will be total shite but maybe they could be useful in prototyping game levels; say you wanted a crashed rocket somewhere or blocking out a city with AI gen houses n stuff. Instead of having to search the entire web for whatever you need, just type in a prompt to get your placeholders.

If I have to pay for the service though, I'll be dropping it like a nice fat spicy turd