Home Technical Talk

Fur creation for different game engines -- general question

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
Hello, I am a beginning 3d artist. Right now, I know about three different methods to create fur.

1. Maya's nHair system -- which as I understand isn't compatible with the Unity game engine. I think it is fine for Unreal?

2. Zbrushes fiberMesh system -- which I do not know if it is compatible with certain game engines, but I do know that it is somewhat heavy from a graphical perspective?

3. Not sure what the method is called, but you draw out images of fur on a transparent plane and place the "cards" around your model in key places. As I understand, this is the most performant method and will work with any game engine.

My general question is, are my assumptions basically correct? And are there other methods that can be used in either Zbrush or Maya? If there is a kind of industry standard method, where can I find more information about it?

And lastly, this is a shot in the dark -- in fact I may just write directly to the developers -- but if anybody is familiar with the game "The Hunter: Call of the Wild" and knows what method they used to model the animals fur in that game, that would be very nice to know.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Whatever happens you'll end up with some variant on 3 - either cards or fins and shells. 
    A lot of times some of the fur will be generated automatically either offline or at runtime. 

Re: fibremesh.  I think you may have misunderstood something, I can't see that being used at runtime.