Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Ship/Submarine Room

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
rezinekk polycounter lvl 5
Hey all,

This is my first post on here, I hope I am doing this right! I got assigned to make a small environment in 3 weeks for my university course and I chose to make a soviet inspired room of a ship/submarine. Our teachers are hesitant to give constructive criticism and I thought you guys could help me out. I am trying to do everything hard surface. I finished the low poly models and I would like to know if there is anything I should add or remove from this? I am planning to add most details as floaters and normals but for more organic stuff like the beds I will use zBrush (or anything you guys suggest?). 

Thank you!

The highlighted part I would like to be fading to black. 

And here is my rough light placement.  

Also on the sides I will make some posters of Moscow and pictures of families to make a story for this submarine. Maybe some family photos, books?

Thanks!

Replies

• rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You can definitely add more stuff (check attached image) there is so much clutter everything is nicely organized. optimized and most importantly doing something 
    My suggestion is to find some blueprints and read some history related to submarine making  , also will be a good idea to find out why there is so much thing and what are they actually doing ,not just blindly copy what you see 
    Most likely people wont sleep with torpedos so you might want to rethink your layout - if you want to have both living room and torpedo room you could model 2 room and place camera in the wall between so you end up with cut out shot 

• rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    You can definitely add more stuff (check attached image) there is so much clutter everything is nicely organized. optimized and most importantly doing something 
    My suggestion is to find some blueprints and read some history related to submarine making  , also will be a good idea to find out why there is so much thing and what are they actually doing ,not just blindly copy what you see 
    Most likely people wont sleep with torpedos so you might want to rethink your layout - if you want to have both living room and torpedo room you could model 2 room and place camera in the wall between so you end up with cut out shot 

Hey!

Thanks man, that really helps. Do you think I should just forget about the beds and focus about adding other mechanical stuff such as pipes etc instead of the beds? Thanks
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    That's up to you but as you can see in real one there is no space for beds in torpedo room .This white thing is taking more or less half the room which is if I have to guess some sort of moving/loading mechanism .I think this will be a good start for your investigation to find out how they load this huge torpedos (there are some more then a ton in weight ), that of course if you are still going to make a torpedo room